Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Keep the tires I have or get different ones?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
ricepow is on a distinguished road
ricepow's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the tires I have or get different ones?

So I just picked up a 08 Tacoma TRD sport, double cab, short bed. Going to be putting the Pro Comp stage 2 on it. I had some wheels and tires from my old truck, the wheels wont work, but the tires could. They are Goodyear Wrangler MTR in 305/70-17 (34.1 x 12.2). They have about 25k on them, still some good life left. Should I keep these and use them on my new wheels or sell them and get something comperable to 33 x 12.5-17 ish? Dont care to go with 35s. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
sell and get something comparable how much tread is on the other tires?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepow View Post
So I just picked up a 08 Tacoma TRD sport, double cab, short bed. Going to be putting the Pro Comp stage 2 on it. I had some wheels and tires from my old truck, the wheels wont work, but the tires could. They are Goodyear Wrangler MTR in 305/70-17 (34.1 x 12.2). They have about 25k on them, still some good life left. Should I keep these and use them on my new wheels or sell them and get something comperable to 33 x 12.5-17 ish? Dont care to go with 35s. Thanks.
No longer like the 35's.Get what you like/want/or need.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
ricepow's Tacoma Gallery
If I had to guess, I would guess I could get another 20k out of them. I haven't had 35s on this truck but I can imagine it would make it a dog and I dont care to regear, that is the reason for the comment about not wanting 35s.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If I had to guess, I would guess I could get another 20k out of them. I haven't had 35s on this truck but I can imagine it would make it a dog and I dont care to regear, that is the reason for the comment about not wanting 35s.
What kind of stance you looking for?? How bout some 285's w/more sidewall??
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
ricepow's Tacoma Gallery
Basically I was just trying to see if theres any real reason to get something different. Truthfully I like the tires. They wear well, aren't obnoxiously loud, great traction everywhere, still have enough life left that I would consider keeping them. Appearance is fine. From a financial standpoint it makes sense. A brand new set of these is about $1200. Just asking opinions.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Basically I was just trying to see if theres any real reason to get something different. Truthfully I like the tires. They wear well, aren't obnoxiously loud, great traction everywhere, still have enough life left that I would consider keeping them. Appearance is fine. From a financial standpoint it makes sense. A brand new set of these is about $1200. Just asking opinions.
1200 gets ya alot of gas.Using a wider tire eats up your mpg.That was why I'd suggested going up on the side wall,and fills in the fender well.