Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS question

Will the stock tire sensors from my 2010 Taco with the STEEL wheels work with aftermarket ALLOY wheels?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
moonman is on a distinguished road
moonman's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to do that and They don't fit in there as they are different , The ones for the stock steel wheel is bent at 40 deg and the one for the stock Aluminum is bent at 20 deg. You maybe able to somehow get it in there but it wont be like they were.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yes...The valve stem may not fit exactly right tho...You might have to turn the 180 degrees or get a strap kit to make them fit right.
spot on info.
Buy the strap kit or get the installer to turn 180.
Many here have done both.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks for the help. Here is another question...

If I get new wheels and either re-use the old ones or get new ones is it true that only Toyota can calibrate them? If so how much will this cost me?

Also, scenario two would be I just put the bigger tires on my stock steel wheels. Again will Toyota have to re-calibrate the stock sensors?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
mxracer452 is on a distinguished road
mxracer452's Tacoma Gallery
i'm getting new wheels for mine too, and instead of swapping the sensors as i want to keep my stock wheels for winter, i found oe sensors here for 35 bucks a piece, www.wholesaletpms.com. i found out that walmart will reprogram them for like 20 bucks, might be something worth looking into.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
Ok thanks for the help. Here is another question...

If I get new wheels and either re-use the old ones or get new ones is it true that only Toyota can calibrate them? If so how much will this cost me?

Also, scenario two would be I just put the bigger tires on my stock steel wheels. Again will Toyota have to re-calibrate the stock sensors?
If you keep the same sensors and change the rims and/or tires- You can reset the "standard" pressure with the button under the steering wheel.
If you get new sensors, I think the guys quoted below is right. Any big name wheel/car place should be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer452 View Post
i'm getting new wheels for mine too, and instead of swapping the sensors as i want to keep my stock wheels for winter, i found oe sensors here for 35 bucks a piece, www.wholesaletpms.com. i found out that walmart will reprogram them for like 20 bucks, might be something worth looking into.