1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snowflake rating on blackwall vs whitewall

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by STR8_BEAST, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    I noticed on Tirerack and noticed for the BFG AT's the whitewall ones are a little more expensive and have the severe weather snowflake symbol, and the blackwalls don't have it and are a little cheaper. Is there honestly a difference between the two?

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    no one?

3. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Not sure about all sizes, but for 285/75-16 for example the differences between the two in the same size are:

Severe snow rated with white letters on one side:
    -Lower load rating - D (lower max PSI)
    -More tread depth
    -Smaller overall diameter
    -Wider width from sidewall to sidewall
    -Higher speed rating/softer rubber compound

Non severe snow rated with black walls
    -Higher load rating - E (higher max PSI)
    -Less tread depth
    -Larger overall diamter
    -Narrower width from sidewall to sidewall
    -Lower speed rating/harder rubber compound

The blackwall ones (higher load rating) would be better for towing & generally should have slightly longer tread life. But on a Tacoma the higher load rating is not necessary. Also the differences in overall diamter, tread depth, & section width is very minimal & you'd probably would never notice the difference between the two.

Tirerack states that the higher load ones weigh less. Generally this should be the other way around, the higher load ones should weigh more but this would vary from different model tires & manufacturers. I also heard the higher load ones may have 1 or 2 plys more (not sidewall) but I'm not sure if this is true.

The non severe snow rated ones should still perform fine in severe snow but they probably just state this because of the harder coumpound & to cover their ass for any liability.

The only main differences you'd probably notice is the difference in tread life, difference in PSI you would need to run, & how hard the ride is. The higher load ones generally should be a stiffer ride but this is not always the case.

I have the non severe snow rated higher load rating blackwall Es & they don't seem to ride any stiffer than my previous D rated MFG MTs. Most places the higher load rated ones should cost more but at Tirerack it's the other way around. I only have the E rated ones cause my buddy gave them to me. When it's time to buy new ones I'll probably go with the D rated ones & I suspect won't notice the difference. But when the time comes if the E rated ones are much cheaper then I'll get those. I see the Es dropped in price again since last week & the Ds are still the same price.

4. Aug 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    thanks man, that makes a lot of sense actually

Products Discussed in

To Top