Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

backspacing/tire and wheel fitment/etc. questions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
backspacing/tire and wheel fitment/etc. questions

sorry if this is a newb question, but i need an answer. i am going to get some new wheels soon and want my tires to stick out of the fenders just a little. my stock trd off road wheels have 5.25'' backspacing, and the wheels i'm looking at have 4.25'' backspacing. therefore, when the new wheels are put on, my tires will stick out approximately 1" on each side, correct?

while i'm at it, getting these new wheels will also keep my wheels and tires farther away from my uca's/decrease rubbing and all of the stuff of that nature, right? i ask this because i am going to get 285's soon too and i want to keep rubbing/trimming at a minimal. i'll attach a link to the wheels i'm getting in case it will help any of you answer my questions. i believe these wheels are going to work, along with the 285's in the future too, but please correct me if i'm wrong or let me know if i'm right.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-98-6883/

thanks in advance guys
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
my stock trd off road wheels have 5.25'' backspacing, and the wheels i'm looking at have 4.25'' backspacing. therefore, when the new wheels are put on, my tires will stick out approximately 1" on each side, correct?

they will stick out 1" more IF the wheels are the same width as you stockers. They will stick out slightly more if they are wider.

for instance, if you got a rim with 4.5" backspacing that's 9 inches wide, it will stick out 1" more than a rim with 4.5" BS that is 8 inches wide.

I think the stockers are 7" wide.

With the 4.5" BS, you are good to go for 285's given you have a 3" lift. Minor trimming will be required though.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW- you can get almost the exact same wheel cheaper at wheelers.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
they will stick out 1" more IF the wheels are the same width as you stockers. They will stick out slightly more if they are wider.

for instance, if you got a rim with 4.5" backspacing that's 9 inches wide, it will stick out 1" more than a rim with 4.5" BS that is 8 inches wide.

I think the stockers are 7" wide.

With the 4.5" BS, you are good to go for 285's given you have a 3" lift. Minor trimming will be required though.
ok, so since my stock wheels are 16x7 5.25" BS and the new wheels i'm looking at will be 16x8 4.25" BS...that's sticking out 2" on each side? is that right? idk if i want it to stick out that much, it will look goofy
Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
FWIW- you can get almost the exact same wheel cheaper at wheelers.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
yes, i'm aware of that, but their wheels don't have any options really.they only have one picture, and it's of a gloss coated tire. i don't see the option of a flat black, which is what i'm wanting. also, the backspacing is 4" which means it's gonna make my wheels/tires stick out 2.25", right? (going from 16x7 5.25"BS to 16x8 4" BS) i'm just trying to figure all this out. but i think that is a little too much to stick out, it will look a little dumb
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
ok, so since my stock wheels are 16x7 5.25" BS and the new wheels i'm looking at will be 16x8 4.25" BS...that's sticking out 2" on each side? is that right? idk if i want it to stick out that much, it will look goofy
They would stick out 2" further than stock, correct.

Think about it this way. Backspacing is the length from the back of the rim to where it mounts on the hub.

A 7" rim with 5.25" backspacing would have 5.25" of the rim sticking "in" towards the uca, and 1.75" of rim sticking "out" from the hub.

A 8" wide rim with 4.25" BS will have 4.25" sticking "in", and therefore 3.75" sticking "out" from the hub.

The stock wheels sit in a good amount, so it's not like the new rim will stick out 2" from the fender itsself. Check out some folks who have lifts and 285's. Almost all of those people have 8" or 9" rims with 4.5" BS. That will give you an idea of how much it will stick out.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:

Think about it this way. Backspacing is the length from the back of the rim to where it mounts on the hub.

A 7" rim with 5.25" backspacing would have 5.25" of the rim sticking "in" towards the uca, and 1.75" of rim sticking "out" from the hub.

A 8" wide rim with 4.25" BS will have 4.25" sticking "in", and therefore 3.75" sticking "out" from the hub.

The stock wheels sit in a good amount, so it's not like the new rim will stick out 2" from the fender itsself. Check out some folks who have lifts and 285's. Almost all of those people have 8" or 9" rims with 4.5" BS. That will give you an idea of how much it will stick out.
yeah, i understand that now. it's just taking me a minute to calculate these things in my head, lol. and yeah, my tires are probably flush with or a little inside my fender if you were looking directly down the side of my truck. so sticking out 2" really could only mean 1-1.5" of the tire actually sticking out. and yes, it's just hard to find a wheel that looks good, with the specs i want.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:

how much BS do you have? what width are the wheels? and total sticking out? if you don't mind...yours looks like just enough from the pic in your sig
Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I have 18X9's with 5.4" BS. So you can check out my pics and my sig. That's approx how much your rims will stick out.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Also, I have 18X9's with 5.4" BS. So you can check out my pics and my sig. That's approx how much your rims will stick out.
that sounds good, i like just a little bit more width to give it a more serious stance. but i was scared that the 2.25" wider was going to have me looking like a long travel tacoma, haha