Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Best Tires (?)

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chandler
TacomaMan07's Tacoma Gallery
Best Tires (?)

I plan on upgrading from the stock Dunlops in the near future. I want to go larger from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16. So I need some help on choosing the right tire. I drive 98.99999% on paved roads. But I would really like some A/Ts. Im thinking (not sure) that A/Ts dont last as long as reg. highway tires? The main reason for A/Ts is the look/stance and I would like to start going off-road eventually.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX M/S
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct, usually an A/T tire will not last as long as a H/T tire due to the tread pattern. Some people also see fuel efficiency drop off slightly with the heavier, more aggressive tire.

I'm running Cooper Discover ATR's and they get my vote.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You are correct, usually an A/T tire will not last as long as a H/T tire due to the tread pattern. Some people also see fuel efficiency drop off slightly with the heavier, more aggressive tire.

I'm running Cooper Discover ATR's and they get my vote.
How much mpg would you lose? Thanks for your inmput
Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaMan07 View Post
How much mpg would you lose? Thanks for your inmput
That is the million dollar question and you'll get different answers depending on who you ask. I went from the 245/75-R16 Dunlops on the Baja wheels to 265/65-R17 Cooper ATR's on the TRD Sport wheels. I lost about 2 mpg (mpg loss is more apparent on the highway, around town I'm pretty close to where I was before). The overall diameter change was about 3/100 of an inch. Tires are noticably wider, but have a solid centerline so they're not loud on the road. My new tires also have a higher load range which plays into this also. The higher the load range means more plys on the tire which equals a heavier tire. If you go to a higher load range, your mileage will suffer a little also. Your Dunlops are a SL or standard load or roughly a B range tire. People go to a higher load range (C or higher) if they haul a lot of weight (so the tires don't squat as much) or off-roaders because of the thicker sidewall (puncture resistance is greater). They also ride a stiffer. For a point of reference, you'll typically you'll see D-range tires on 3/4 ton stock pick-ups.

Sorry for the overload, hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer ATRs and Toyo Open Country ATs were both great tires I had on my 2005.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone is going to have their own favorite. Just do a lot of searching and come up with an informed decision that best fits your needs.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #8

Thanks for all the imput.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Everyone is going to have their own favorite. Just do a lot of searching and come up with an informed decision that best fits your needs.
Bingo.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked at the Nitto Dura Grappler?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

Had these on my last truck and am in the process of dumping the tires that originally came on my rig ot get another set.
Living in the Northwest the Geolanders were a great compromise for an all around tire. They handle great in the wet, very good in icy/snowy conditions, very well in light mud, excellent highway, and are quiet. They don't look half bad for an all terrain tire (similar to Bridgestone Dueler Revo tread pattern). They are quiet on the highway and most importantly for those of us on a budget can be had pretty reasonably. (Tire Rack)
265/70R17 113S Load Index 113 = 2561lbs (1164kg) per tire
Speed Rating “S” = 112mph (180kph) $114.00 (ea.)

Good luck in what ever tire you chose. Everyone has a personal preference so do your research and chose the best tire for your needs.
Just my thoughts. Ken

Products Discussed in this Thread