Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

35" Tires...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
35" Tires...

So I have an '09 that's stock. I'd like to replace my stock factory BFG's, and I was really hoping to go up to a 35" tire for ground clearance mainly.

Obviously I'll have to get a lift... Will a 3" lift be enough? I'd like to avoid a ton of cutting, but of course I also don't want the tires rubbing.

So what do you guys think? Looks like the biggest I can go is 265/75/16 on the stock suspension/wheels... I don't really want to get new wheels if I don't have to, although it would be nice I guess to have two sets of tires. Most of my driving is unfortunately on pavement, so perhaps that would be a benefit to get a separate set of wheels&tires...

If I can't run a 35" tire on a 3" lift, how much lift would I need? Looks like a 33" tire is 285/75, can I run those on the stock suspension with minimal cutting?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
a 3inch lift you can go with 285s If you have stock wheels tho that are 16s your going to rub on the UCAs so your gonna need spacers. If you wanna fit 35s, your going to have to alot of cutting, and like you said you dont wanna cut alot. I had to trim a little and I have a 6inch lift. Some fellas here have a 3inch lift tho with 35s. I had a 3inch lift with 285 with 16s with spidertrax spacers. Others will chime in. A friend of mine also has a 3inch lift and has 285 bfg km2s but was rubbing on the UCAs like crazy so I sold him my spidertrax spacers when I got the 6inch lift. So imo your gonna have to cut alottt to fit 35s.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
4" lift would be fine with some trimming. U will actually have to cut part of the frame and then re-enforce it. This project will require cutting and welding.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yea, I think 6" lift is too big (personal preference, your truck looks good, just don't want mine that big )

Hrm I heard it's a really bad idea to run spacers. Discount claimed they can't work on vehicles with them on... shortens the stud?

Maybe I'll go with the 3" lift and run 33" tires. Thanks for the quick response!

Any others?

06Bluez, just saw your response. So a 4" lift will fit 35" tires... but I have to cut part of the frame?!? That doesn't sound like anything I want to get into!!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind though, if you go 35"s, you'll really want to re-gear as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Keep in mind though, if you go 35"s, you'll really want to re-gear as well.
Ah yea, I forgot about that... so tires, lift, and gears... Jeez, I'm lookin at 3k it sounds like ! Thanks for the reminder! Looks like I may go with 33's in the short term haha!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
It's not necessarily the height of the vehicle that is the problem. It is the minimal amount of room inside the fender (width-wise). U need perfect backspacing on ur wheels and u will need to cut part of the frame and trim parts of the front and rear of the fender. 4" lift would be perfect but difficult to get. Camburg makes spindles for a 2wd that will achieve 4" of lift. With 4x4 u are limited.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
3" w/ 35s

3" w/ 33s

gears for 35s are a want and not a need. also the cut is to the body mount, not the frame.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
beef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura aboutbeef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
beef TACO no rice's Tacoma Gallery
hodge, what lift is that?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef TACO no rice View Post
hodge, what lift is that?
3" Walker Evans COs up front and 3" AP leaf pack out back
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
beef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura aboutbeef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
i bought my truck and it already had a spacer up front to level, but im not sure how big it is.. wondering if its only a 2" level... would like to get the clearance youve got.. looks like your sitting higher then mine..

hm
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
gears for 35s are a want and not a need. also the cut is to the body mount, not the frame.
It's a smart idea to re-gear...trust me.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator

measure the thickness of the spacer and it is pretty much double that number
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
It's a smart idea to re-gear...trust me.
i've been driving on mine since april w/ no issues, including wheeling twice...and i still get better MPGs than if i regeared. no need to attempt to do 0-60 in 5 seconds in a truck w/ 35s.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Firefighter:
Quote:
i've been driving on mine since april w/ no issues, including wheeling twice...and i still get better MPGs than if i regeared. no need to attempt to do 0-60 in 5 seconds in a truck w/ 35s.
x2
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
3" w/ 35s

also the cut is to the body mount, not the frame.
Me likey. So I can do 35" tires with a 3" lift, I just have to do some trimming on the body mount? I just worry about causing damage to the truck by a) putting on tires that rub or b) trimming too much. New to modding trucks, thanks for the tips guys. Keep 'em comin
Old 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Me likey. So I can do 35" tires with a 3" lift, I just have to do some trimming on the body mount? I just worry about causing damage to the truck by a) putting on tires that rub or b) trimming too much. New to modding trucks, thanks for the tips guys. Keep 'em comin
backspacing of the wheels will also dictate the amount of trimming. you will have to chop the body mount for sure though....i'm not sure how much you'll have to cut off the front of the inner fenders/front bumper area though as i dont have that issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, but the amount of abuse your tranny and other components take also are reduced with re-gearing...
Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
backspacing of the wheels will also dictate the amount of trimming. you will have to chop the body mount for sure though....i'm not sure how much you'll have to cut off the front of the inner fenders/front bumper area though as i dont have that issue.
Did you have to do any trimming in the front? I assume I would need to get new wheels to get more backspacing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack
Yeah, but the amount of abuse your tranny and other components take also are reduced with re-gearing...
Is this because of first gear takeoffs at lights causing extra stress from the weight/size of the tires? I don't see how that would apply when the vehicle is in motion... Unless I'm just missing something. Which is entirely possible.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Did you have to do any trimming in the front? I assume I would need to get new wheels to get more backspacing...
"offroad" front bumper=no trimming in the front