Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Why slotted rotors?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
When you apply the brakes gases get traped between the pad and rotor. The slotts let the gases escape and the pads make better contact with the rotor.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i like slotted rotors because they are typically stronger..less likely to warp, and there aint no brake fade with them and good pads, pads bite alot better on them...to me anyway.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing with them is they will wear out the pads a bit faster. Thats the reason I won't get them.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
Very easy. Just take the calipers off and the rotor slides off and replace the pads. The hardest part is that you have to use a c-clamp to compress the calipers so the new pads fit. Just take the cap off the resivor before you compress them.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
So, compared to installing the Toytech coilovers, 5100's all around and an AAL, how complicated is it to replace the rotors if you've never touched a brake system before?
really easy.....basically, pulling the pads and caliper bracket, and taking stock rotors off, putting new ones on, and then putting the bracket,caliper and pads back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
The only thing with them is they will wear out the pads a bit faster. Thats the reason I won't get them.
i dont think they wear the pads out faster honestly, they do keep them alot cleaner tho.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Malamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
Malamute's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest downside and the reason most that off-road frequently is small rocks can get wedged in them. On a sportscar that may have heavy braking at high speeds I can see the benefit......not on a 4x4.

As far the the pre-runner people and their speeds I can see a need for increased performance, but the chances of getting small rocks caught in them is high. I never had them on my Jeep and don't see the need on my truck now.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post

i dont think they wear the pads out faster honestly, they do keep them alot cleaner tho.
Well you know better than me, I have no experience with them.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
My brakes pulse. I've read on TW that it is because the rotors were over heated and warped. Would slotted rotors prevent this ? Curious George
Yes but you can still warp slotted rotors if you use the brakes aggressively enough.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes but you can still warp slotted rotors if you use the brakes aggressively enough.
Thanks, but what would be my best bet ? I'm no hot shot aggressive driver and my brakes pulse.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks, but what would be my best bet ? I'm no hot shot aggressive driver and my brakes pulse.
go for a set of slotteds man. try http://raceshopper.com/ they have the best prices and customer service i have ever seen.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
go for a set of slotteds man. try http://raceshopper.com/ they have the best prices and customer service i have ever seen.
Thanks. I've read that B 4 but get confused when people post that slotted warp too. I was thinking of going raceshopper and Hawk LT but still undecided about the slotted.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Thanks. I've read that B 4 but get confused when people post that slotted warp too. I was thinking of going raceshopper and Hawk LT but still undecided about the slotted.
Just saying that they can if you really abuse them but they will put up a lot more hard braking over stock.