Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

285s on FJ rims? - NON TRD!!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
The Sausage King of Chicago
Abe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shedAbe Froman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, National Park Service
Abe Froman's Tacoma Gallery
285s on FJ rims? - NON TRD!!

Searching showed that plenty of people are running 285s on FJ TRD rims with no problems, but what about these Non-TRD 17" FJ rims?

I just bought a set and carefully measured the backspacing at 4 7/8".
I also measured BS on my stock sport wheels (same wheel width) and got 5 7/16". So these FJ rims will be offset a little more than half and inch further than the sport rims.

And, if a 265 tire is 10.433 inches wide and a 285 tire is 11.22 inches wide, I should have about .4 inches additional width of rubber on each side of the wheel with the 285s, right?

So, it looks like the .5+" of additional offset should accommodate the width of 285s. The above is just considering the width of the tire rubbing on stock UCAs. Of course you'd need appropriate lift for the diameter of your tire. Right now I have 5100 up front set at 1.75". I know, ideally i should add more lift to properly run any 285s. but theoretically 285/65/17s (yes there are very few out there) would fit with the FJ rims, yes?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
I'm crackin eggs of wisdom
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curt (kūrt)
Shiftin2Sixth's Tacoma Gallery
I know this tread is old but I need the same question answered. Bump
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
I've been rocking them for awhile. I have 1/4" spacers just the same as my TRD Sports that camke with the truck. Had the OME 884's w/ 1/4" spaced and recently went to coilovers with TC UCA's, no complaints. I do still get a little rubbing but that is only at or near full lock.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
I'm crackin eggs of wisdom
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curt (kūrt)
Shiftin2Sixth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
I've been rocking them for awhile. I have 1/4" spacers just the same as my TRD Sports that camke with the truck. Had the OME 884's w/ 1/4" spaced and recently went to coilovers with TC UCA's, no complaints. I do still get a little rubbing but that is only at or near full lock.

Did they rub much with the stock UCAs?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin2Sixth View Post
Did they rub much with the stock UCAs?
My uppers definitely had some rubbing on them but I do not know for certain it was with the FJ's. I have never known at what point my uppers were getting rubber, guessing cause its quite. I only notice when I was hitting the plastinc on the inside of the fender since it was so loud. But with the 1/4" spacers I had 0 concerns. Rubbing wasn't bad to begin with and when it boils down to it, thats all it is, rubbing.