1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Alloy Lugs Don't work on Spare

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TacomaBuzz, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Hey all, So today as i was driving i noticed my tacoma was pulling way off to the right so i go home and check the PSI on all four tires. Turns out the front passenger side is down to 12PSI, i proceed to inflate it when i notice air is pissing from the valve stem seat, so long story short after removing the OEM 16" ALLOY tire and replacing it with the Steel rim spare under the truck i notice the lugnuts are incorrect for the spare, WTF how could toyota not supply us with the correct lugnuts for the spare??

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Unless they changed something they should fit. If not get 6 hole through types from the local parts place and put them in the spare tire tool bag.

3. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I was thinking the same thing, I haven't tried the shank style lugnuts with the steel spare but they look to be just tapered at end of the lugnut to seat to the steel spare lug holes to get you to a shop to get the other one fixed. I didn't want to mess around and went and bought 6 acorn style lugnuts to keep in the truck to be on the safe side. The lug nuts on the alloy wheels are defiantly not the ones intended for the the spare IMO.

mallege likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    TacomaBuzz

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    They thread on just fine, but the alloy lugs have a washer with a recess and the steelies require a different type of lug nut. im going to try contacting Toyota to see if they can send me the correct ones for the spare.

5. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    If the lugnuts weren't made for a steel spare, Toyota would have supplied you with the different lug nuts for the spare. I've used these type of lug nuts on a steel wheel before. They will work. Just remember, it's a spare tire, meant to get you to a safe place to fix your flat tire, not to drive on for any great length of time.

But, if you aren't comfortable with it, then go to your local auto parts store and buy some regular old lug nuts, just make sure you have a deep socket to install them with since they will be the pass through type that lets the stud stick out through them.

6. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    The alloy lugs work with the spare. It just looks funny because only the end of the lug nuts will be holding the steel rim on. Like it was stated before, it's just to get you to a shop.

7. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    The spare is a full size OEM spare, not a "doughnut" it should function as more than "just a get you to a shop and fix the bad tire".

Every other vehicle I owned had a full size spare which could be mounted properly with the lug nuts from the wheel being replace, and could be used for as long as the tire would last.

I bought a toyota because I kept hearing quality, quality, quality over and over. but the more i read stuff hear I start to wonder.

8. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    As stated a couple times already here, the shank style lugnuts for the Alloy wheels on your Tacoma will also work on the steel spare tire. next time you pull one of your lugnuts off, you can look at it and see it is tapered on the end, just like the acorn style for steel wheels. It will look slightly odd, because the full shank will be exposed, but the lugnut will be tight, and will center to wheel to each lug.

If you don't intend to check, I have a spare lugnut here I can take a picture of it and post it for your information.

Not sure about your spare, but mine is clearly a temporary spare, and for that matter, who would want to drive around with 3 alloys and a black steel with no hubcap for very long anyway.

9. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    TacomaBuzz

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah its only temporary till i get my valve stem replaced, the lug just looked odd on the steelies, Thanks everyone

10. Aug 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    It does function as more than a "get you to the shop" spare. You can run it as long as you want, it just looks goofy.

Being a mechanic I see and work on all makes and models of vehicles and Toyotas are still the best overall in my opinion. If you don't like your Toyota why don't you buy something else?

Products Discussed in

To Top