Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

OEM Alloy Lugs Don't work on Spare

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Alloy Lugs Don't work on Spare

Hey all, So today as i was driving i noticed my tacoma was pulling way off to the right so i go home and check the PSI on all four tires. Turns out the front passenger side is down to 12PSI, i proceed to inflate it when i notice air is pissing from the valve stem seat, so long story short after removing the OEM 16" ALLOY tire and replacing it with the Steel rim spare under the truck i notice the lugnuts are incorrect for the spare, WTF how could toyota not supply us with the correct lugnuts for the spare??
Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
2.7taco is on a distinguished road
2.7taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Hey all, So today as i was driving i noticed my tacoma was pulling way off to the right so i go home and check the PSI on all four tires. Turns out the front passenger side is down to 12PSI, i proceed to inflate it when i notice air is pissing from the valve stem seat, so long story short after removing the OEM 16" ALLOY tire and replacing it with the Steel rim spare under the truck i notice the lugnuts are incorrect for the spare, WTF how could toyota not supply us with the correct lugnuts for the spare??
Unless they changed something they should fit. If not get 6 hole through types from the local parts place and put them in the spare tire tool bag.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I was thinking the same thing, I haven't tried the shank style lugnuts with the steel spare but they look to be just tapered at end of the lugnut to seat to the steel spare lug holes to get you to a shop to get the other one fixed. I didn't want to mess around and went and bought 6 acorn style lugnuts to keep in the truck to be on the safe side. The lug nuts on the alloy wheels are defiantly not the ones intended for the the spare IMO.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They thread on just fine, but the alloy lugs have a washer with a recess and the steelies require a different type of lug nut. im going to try contacting Toyota to see if they can send me the correct ones for the spare.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If the lugnuts weren't made for a steel spare, Toyota would have supplied you with the different lug nuts for the spare. I've used these type of lug nuts on a steel wheel before. They will work. Just remember, it's a spare tire, meant to get you to a safe place to fix your flat tire, not to drive on for any great length of time.

But, if you aren't comfortable with it, then go to your local auto parts store and buy some regular old lug nuts, just make sure you have a deep socket to install them with since they will be the pass through type that lets the stud stick out through them.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
The alloy lugs work with the spare. It just looks funny because only the end of the lug nuts will be holding the steel rim on. Like it was stated before, it's just to get you to a shop.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
The spare is a full size OEM spare, not a "doughnut" it should function as more than "just a get you to a shop and fix the bad tire".

Every other vehicle I owned had a full size spare which could be mounted properly with the lug nuts from the wheel being replace, and could be used for as long as the tire would last.

I bought a toyota because I kept hearing quality, quality, quality over and over. but the more i read stuff hear I start to wonder.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Lugnuts will work

As stated a couple times already here, the shank style lugnuts for the Alloy wheels on your Tacoma will also work on the steel spare tire. next time you pull one of your lugnuts off, you can look at it and see it is tapered on the end, just like the acorn style for steel wheels. It will look slightly odd, because the full shank will be exposed, but the lugnut will be tight, and will center to wheel to each lug.

If you don't intend to check, I have a spare lugnut here I can take a picture of it and post it for your information.

Not sure about your spare, but mine is clearly a temporary spare, and for that matter, who would want to drive around with 3 alloys and a black steel with no hubcap for very long anyway.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
As stated a couple times already here, the shank style lugnuts for the Alloy wheels on your Tacoma will also work on the steel spare tire. next time you pull one of your lugnuts off, you can look at it and see it is tapered on the end, just like the acorn style for steel wheels. It will look slightly odd, because the full shank will be exposed, but the lugnut will be tight, and will center to wheel to each lug.

If you don't intend to check, I have a spare lugnut here I can take a picture of it and post it for your information.

Not sure about your spare, but mine is clearly a temporary spare, and for that matter, who would want to drive around with 3 alloys and a black steel with no hubcap for very long anyway.
Yeah its only temporary till i get my valve stem replaced, the lug just looked odd on the steelies, Thanks everyone
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maju View Post
The spare is a full size OEM spare, not a "doughnut" it should function as more than "just a get you to a shop and fix the bad tire".

Every other vehicle I owned had a full size spare which could be mounted properly with the lug nuts from the wheel being replace, and could be used for as long as the tire would last.

I bought a toyota because I kept hearing quality, quality, quality over and over. but the more i read stuff hear I start to wonder.
It does function as more than a "get you to the shop" spare. You can run it as long as you want, it just looks goofy.

Being a mechanic I see and work on all makes and models of vehicles and Toyotas are still the best overall in my opinion. If you don't like your Toyota why don't you buy something else?