1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cars hacked through wireless TPMS access

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SlurpeeBlueMetallic, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic [OP] FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Interesting... not sure if this is a repost, I searched key words and found nothing. I've seen several articles on wired hacking into vehicles which led to theorizing about gaining access via Bluetooth or other optional equipment. This is the first I've seen where mandated safety equipment provides the access.

Apparently for $1500 you can hack into an ECU via the TPMS system and wreak all kinds of mischievous havoc and track vehicles for as far as you have detectors setup.

My favorite of the comments so far:
    Yo dawg, I heard you like buffer overruns in your ECU, so I installed this TPMS in your new rims dawg. Now you can be crashin' while you're crashin'!
    :laughing:

http://arstechnica.com/security/new...less-tyre-sensors.ars?comments=1#comments-bar
    The tire pressure monitors built into modern cars have been shown to be insecure by researchers from Rutgers University and the University of South Carolina. The wireless sensors, compulsory in new automobiles in the US since 2008, can be used to track vehicles or feed bad data to the electronic control units (ECU), causing them to malfunction.

Earlier in the year, researchers from the University of Washington and University of California San Diego showed that the ECUs could be hacked, giving attackers the ability to be both annoying, by enabling wipers or honking the horn, and dangerous, by disabling the brakes or jamming the accelerator.

The new research shows that other systems in the vehicle are similarly insecure. The tire pressure monitors are notable because they're wireless, allowing attacks to be made from adjacent vehicles. The researchers used equipment costing $1,500, including radio sensors and special software, to eavesdrop on, and interfere with, two different tire pressure monitoring systems.

The pressure sensors contain unique IDs, so merely eavesdropping enabled the researchers to identify and track vehicles remotely. Beyond this, they could alter and forge the readings to cause warning lights on the dashboard to turn on, or even crash the ECU completely.

Unlike the work earlier this year, these attacks are more of a nuisance than any real danger; the tire sensors only send a message every 60-90 seconds, giving attackers little opportunity to compromise systems or cause any real damage. Nonetheless, both pieces of research demonstrate that these in-car computers have been designed with ineffective security measures.

The Rutgers and South Carolina research will be presented at the USENIX Security conference later this week.

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  3. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Jamming the accelerator.... Hmmm, I wonder if that what has happened with the "sticky" gas pedals.

Good find!

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    glad I dont have them, damn cyber car tmps hacker

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Haha, I don't have TPMS. I can't believe this is even possible...

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Interesting, I don't hink it would work on a Tacoma. The TPMS ECU doesn't appear to be connected to the Main ECU.

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:
    I've hesitated buying after-market wheels just because of the annoyance of getting TPMS to work again or ignoring the warnings. Now maybe I'll look at not having TPMS as an extra bonus.

8. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    yea, I think in either case the actual risk associated with this is overstated. In any case, I want to talk to these hackers about updating my TPMS ECU with my new sensors. Save me $90!

9. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:

Even just knowing I can be tracked so easily is a bit unnerving... sure, there are other ways to track me but most of them I can control by not using a specific device or a specific function within a device. In this case my only option to avoid it is by removing factory-provided gear.

10. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

Member:

:rofl::rofl:

11. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    there's no need to worry about really anything with this...TPMS sensors are very simple devices. They send pressure and temperature readings to a receiver, and that's it.

Now if a baddie wanted to try and mess with you, he could send a single to the recevier that indicated your pressure was 23049823049823 psi. This *could* cause a buffer overflow and allow him to get at other parts of your ECU that control important things. If the toyota TPMS computer is seperate from the ECU, then there isn't much to worry about. If that were to happen, it would simply light up your TPMS indicator until you were out of range of wherever he was transmitting from.

they're just TPMS sensors, I wouldn't expect any automaker to design mission-critical security layers into them...it's not like they store your SSN, blood type, bank pin code, etc

Products Discussed in

To Top