Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Trimming plastic on fenders for tire fitting

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
afbeetle is on a distinguished road
afbeetle's Tacoma Gallery
Trimming plastic on fenders for tire fitting

Just bought new tires...went from 265 65 17 to 265 70 17. Took off the mud flaps but it still rubs slightly in the front. Need to trim the plastic but have never done it before and I don't want it to look trashy. Anyone have pictures/tips on how to trim the plastic?? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a hold of a dremel and cut away.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
When I went up a size in tire, they rubbed a bit.

I used a heat gun and actually heated up the lower section of the flare (see attached "before" photo), then slightly folded back the piece that was rubbing. It gave me more than enough clearance. It didn't take much as it was only rubbing a bit, mainly during turns or coming in and out of driveways.

It might work for you, but you might be rubbing a little more than I was. It's worth a shot, and if its still not enough, then you can cut at that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Trimming plastic on fenders for tire fitting-img_0587-copy.jpg  
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Just use a heat gun and a new razorblade. Trim very slowly and only what is needed for the tires to not rub. I had a buddy in the truck turning the steering wheel as I cut what is needed. You also have to take in effect when the tires are articulating up and down and cut enough so they have to room to do so.

I recently upsized from 265/75-16 (32"x10.50") to 285/75-16 (33"x11.50") and had to cut more of the front flare and a small portion of the rear flare.

Front Flare

Rear Flare