Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Question for my Nitto Tera Grappler fans

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Don't really understand 2WD trucks....
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Question for my Nitto Tera Grappler fans

Hi, I'm thinking bout going with some 285/65/18 Nitto Grapplers and just wondering what most people noticed in change in terms of gas mileage.

I understand most peoples driving habits are different, but im trying to find a good balance with gas mileage and aggressive 33" tire. All things equal, how much mpg was lost?

thx!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Snowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jacob
Snowmang's Tacoma Gallery
all terrains or mud terrains or what..
Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!
meckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS'D
Name: Stephen
meckleystephen's Tacoma Gallery
I went from 265-65-17 to 265-70-17 Nitto Terra Grappler AT and really didnt notice a difference. They are also still on the stock sport rims. good luck
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Today I Will!!!!
mcampos0 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
mcampos0's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt notice to much of a MPG change with my tires maybe 1 or 2 mpg loss, ohh and they are pretty good offroad too
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
ok, good stuff. I have the puny 245s that came stock on my DC. I want to go with the 285 tera grappler AT. Im averaging about 20 mpg which is good. i just dont want to drop to like 13 or something.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
I just put terra grapplers on. 265/70/17, and the only difference i notice is that the mph is now off 2 at 60. This means that your fuel mileage is actually better than you think because u've travelled further than your odometer says. So i really don't think they are gonna rob much mpg at all. our trucks (6spd at least) could use higher gearing for everyday street and highway use anyway, not to mention these are fairly lightweight and seem to roll nicely.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Those of you with the TG a/t's, how are they in the rain? With all the siping they have, I'm guessing pretty good?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Those of you with the TG a/t's, how are they in the rain? With all the siping they have, I'm guessing pretty good?
better than the baja claws i have now...lol
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tires are great in the rain, look good, not too loud on highway. Lost maybe 1 mpg.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
running the terra grapplers 285/70/17. If anything theres been the smallest decrease in mpg's. Tires handle well in rain, on pavement, in snow, and in some mud. Love mine
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I keep reading about bad tread life on the NTG's. Any of you guys experience this? I'm also in the market for new tires (265/70/17) having a hard job deciding though.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 10,000 on mine and they look like new. Minimal wear. Btw- stock size a/t's.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Go with duratracs. Trust me my bro has the terra grappler, my dad has duratracs. Terragrappler very heavy tire and not very good off-road. The duratrac however is a slight bit lighter and can hold its own off road
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Go with duratracs. Trust me my bro has the terra grappler, my dad has duratracs. Terragrappler very heavy tire and not very good off-road. The duratrac however is a slight bit lighter and can hold its own off road
Yeah I love the looks of the Duratracs. They would be good for me this winter for sure, but I don't do any offroading. I'm a little worried about road noise. Some people say they are quiet, and others say they arnt.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
^^ I don't think its that bad. My dads f350 has them of course the diesel cancels all noise, but at 80 mph no throttle just coastin, you can hear a slight hum, nothin bad
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
clintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shedclintonjeffries is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clinton
clintonjeffries's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
I understand most peoples driving habits are different, but im trying to find a good balance with gas mileage and aggressive 33" tire. All things equal, how much mpg was lost?
going for your stock size tire to the 33's will make a little difference gas mileage-wise, but the tread pattern and style of the tire are not going to make much of a difference. you'll notice the same gas mileage loss going to a terra grappler, a procomp mud terrain, or a super swamper... unmeasureable differences over time I'm sure between different tires, but the biggest factor is what size tire you're switching to, not the tread on it
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogge89 View Post
I keep reading about bad tread life on the NTG's. Any of you guys experience this? I'm also in the market for new tires (265/70/17) having a hard job deciding though.
I have run about 5 sets of Nitto TG's and they have had great life. THe last set had 7/32's tread left at 39k miles.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
Nittos are lighter than the duratracs...... and one of the lightest all terrains you can get....
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #19

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
Nittos are lighter than the duratracs...... and one of the lightest all terrains you can get....

This is what I always thought too, which is why I want to get some. Does anybody know if the Nitto Trail Grapplers get much less tread life than the Terra Grappler AT?

Reason why I am asking is because I love the look of the Trail grappler, but I need to get my money's worth now-a-days....
Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Silver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud ofSilver 10 has much to be proud of

Name: Joe
Silver 10's Tacoma Gallery
Get the TGs they are a good tire and from what you said your not offroading at all, I use mine for general purpose and hunting in some pretty tough stuff and they hold up well. Dont listen to a comparison between what a guys dad has duras on a 350 it is a way diff truck. All guys I know with duras say they are loud. My TGs on my F250 were way quieter than they are on the tacoma, but they are still not loud on the tacoma just a comparison of what people say when comparing diff trucks. 265/70/16 at 8500 miles and look new just make sure well balanced and rotated