1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Tommo, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    Tommo

Tommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    base 4X4
    Is the tire pressure monitoring system worth having when getting new wheels and tires? Owners manual says to check pressure manually even with the TPMS.

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 3:54 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Its pretty easy to keep it. The alloy sensors swap into almost all aftermarket from what I read here. The steel rim sensors can be used with a banding kit or turned at a different angle when getting mounted at the shop.

If you do not swap the sensors over into the new wheels and keep the sensors mounted on your stock setup like say in your garage, the system doesn't go off. My winter set is my oem rims and sensors and I get no light when my summer set is mounted unless I drive outside a certain distance of the sensors. Been that way for the last 4 yrs.

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    Tommo

Tommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    base 4X4
    Thanks very much for the information. I think the TPMS is an unnecessary gimick which just lets the dealers keep making money for nothing!

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    Actually, you can thank the Dept. of Transportation for the mandating of the TPMS sensors in every vehicle from 2009 and newer.

5. Aug 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    yea, it's the government that requires all new cars to have them. i'm pretty sure every shop and dealership hates them in general. they're just a hassle and a liability if you break one.

although i think it's good that they're a requirement. the average driver is a complete fucking idiot. you would not believe how many times i've heard a customer come in and say "my tire light is on" when their tire has zero air in it. they don't say "i have a flat tire" they say "there's some light on that's annoying me". :mad: they're the kind of oblivious idiots that get people killed.

6. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I agreed that they were pointless and stupid until the day I drove over a sheetrock blade on the highway. The tire was low enuf to trigger the light and heat up the tire but not low enuf to make a major difference in handling @ highway speed. I would have heat that tire up and risked blowing it out bad without my TPMS light.

7. Aug 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    just found out that 2011 vw's dont use sensors anymore. they're going back to the old abs based tpms systems. which makes a lot of sense. cheaper and easier. and you really don't need to know if one of your tires is 2 psi lower than the others. you only need to know if it's 10 or 15 as far as safety goes. i'm assuming it's due to the government relaxing the regulations, i'm assuming other companies are doing the same.

8. Aug 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I liked the setup in my C6 Corvette...

I could check the tire pressure of each tire at any time on the DIC. Kinda cool and I cross checked it with a good tire pressure gauge and it was perfect to the pound.

9. Aug 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    It was like that on my C5 as well... I thought that was what the govt was going to legislate... this dummy light is stupid... being able to see the PSI of every tire as well as the spare on all cars would have been worthwhile... though cheap cars would see quite the price hit.

10. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    except it's a feature that will only work until the batteries in the sensors run out. there's no way to replace them. nobody's gonna spend hundreds of dollars on 4 new sensors just to have that mostly frivolous feature when the batteries die. so abs based actually is safer. 95% of owners aren't gonna replace their dead sensors 5 or 10 years down the road. so in that regard abs based systems are 100% more effective.

11. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    They won't cost that much to replace. As this is now a mandate for all vehicles, expect the aftermarket to chime in with plemty of replacement parts. In 5 years when most of us will have to worry about it, these things will be cheap.

As for the system, a lot of gas gets wasted and a lot of people have been injured and/or died because of low tire pressure. It's amazing how many people NEVER check their tire pressure ... nor did you have to until the introduction of self-service gas stations. TPMS is a good safety system.

12. Aug 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    All 4 sensors don't go bad at the same time. I've been working on wheels/tires for over 5 years now, and Chevrolet and Mercedes-Benz and a few other exotics started this back in the 90's. Using fix-a-flat torches these things. And there like 50 bux a pop right now. Given the fact of timeframe in 5 or so years when it's been healthy to replace for a few years, and they'll be like 20/per

13. Sep 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    Texas

Texas Well-Known Member

Member:
    TPMS started becoming standard on corvettes partly because of the OEM run flat tires.

Safety issue.

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    DocBrown86

DocBrown86 Yota Doc

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Diego (Spring Valley)
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner
    toytec coil spacers, tokicko struts/dubcab springs, energy suspension rack bushings, bilstien hd shocks, K&N FIPK2, Flowmaster 50DF, ScanGuage2, 5000k HID's, horn mod, other stuff that I forgot to list
    Most (if not all) dealers will check your tire pressure for free :thumbsup:

TPMS is for the idiots that never check their air pressure.

Products Discussed in

To Top