Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Tommo is on a distinguished road
Tommo's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS?

Is the tire pressure monitoring system worth having when getting new wheels and tires? Owners manual says to check pressure manually even with the TPMS.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Its pretty easy to keep it. The alloy sensors swap into almost all aftermarket from what I read here. The steel rim sensors can be used with a banding kit or turned at a different angle when getting mounted at the shop.

If you do not swap the sensors over into the new wheels and keep the sensors mounted on your stock setup like say in your garage, the system doesn't go off. My winter set is my oem rims and sensors and I get no light when my summer set is mounted unless I drive outside a certain distance of the sensors. Been that way for the last 4 yrs.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Tommo is on a distinguished road
Tommo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks very much for the information. I think the TPMS is an unnecessary gimick which just lets the dealers keep making money for nothing!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Thanks very much for the information. I think the TPMS is an unnecessary gimick which just lets the dealers keep making money for nothing!
Actually, you can thank the Dept. of Transportation for the mandating of the TPMS sensors in every vehicle from 2009 and newer.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea, it's the government that requires all new cars to have them. i'm pretty sure every shop and dealership hates them in general. they're just a hassle and a liability if you break one.

although i think it's good that they're a requirement. the average driver is a complete fucking idiot. you would not believe how many times i've heard a customer come in and say "my tire light is on" when their tire has zero air in it. they don't say "i have a flat tire" they say "there's some light on that's annoying me". they're the kind of oblivious idiots that get people killed.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
yea, it's the government that requires all new cars to have them. i'm pretty sure every shop and dealership hates them in general. they're just a hassle and a liability if you break one.

although i think it's good that they're a requirement. the average driver is a complete fucking idiot. you would not believe how many times i've heard a customer come in and say "my tire light is on" when their tire has zero air in it. they don't say "i have a flat tire" they say "there's some light on that's annoying me". they're the kind of oblivious idiots that get people killed.
I agreed that they were pointless and stupid until the day I drove over a sheetrock blade on the highway. The tire was low enuf to trigger the light and heat up the tire but not low enuf to make a major difference in handling @ highway speed. I would have heat that tire up and risked blowing it out bad without my TPMS light.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
just found out that 2011 vw's dont use sensors anymore. they're going back to the old abs based tpms systems. which makes a lot of sense. cheaper and easier. and you really don't need to know if one of your tires is 2 psi lower than the others. you only need to know if it's 10 or 15 as far as safety goes. i'm assuming it's due to the government relaxing the regulations, i'm assuming other companies are doing the same.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the setup in my C6 Corvette...

I could check the tire pressure of each tire at any time on the DIC. Kinda cool and I cross checked it with a good tire pressure gauge and it was perfect to the pound.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I liked the setup in my C6 Corvette...

I could check the tire pressure of each tire at any time on the DIC. Kinda cool and I cross checked it with a good tire pressure gauge and it was perfect to the pound.
It was like that on my C5 as well... I thought that was what the govt was going to legislate... this dummy light is stupid... being able to see the PSI of every tire as well as the spare on all cars would have been worthwhile... though cheap cars would see quite the price hit.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
It was like that on my C5 as well... I thought that was what the govt was going to legislate... this dummy light is stupid... being able to see the PSI of every tire as well as the spare on all cars would have been worthwhile... though cheap cars would see quite the price hit.
except it's a feature that will only work until the batteries in the sensors run out. there's no way to replace them. nobody's gonna spend hundreds of dollars on 4 new sensors just to have that mostly frivolous feature when the batteries die. so abs based actually is safer. 95% of owners aren't gonna replace their dead sensors 5 or 10 years down the road. so in that regard abs based systems are 100% more effective.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
except it's a feature that will only work until the batteries in the sensors run out. there's no way to replace them. nobody's gonna spend hundreds of dollars on 4 new sensors just to have that mostly frivolous feature when the batteries die. so abs based actually is safer. 95% of owners aren't gonna replace their dead sensors 5 or 10 years down the road. so in that regard abs based systems are 100% more effective.
They won't cost that much to replace. As this is now a mandate for all vehicles, expect the aftermarket to chime in with plemty of replacement parts. In 5 years when most of us will have to worry about it, these things will be cheap.

As for the system, a lot of gas gets wasted and a lot of people have been injured and/or died because of low tire pressure. It's amazing how many people NEVER check their tire pressure ... nor did you have to until the introduction of self-service gas stations. TPMS is a good safety system.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All 4 sensors don't go bad at the same time. I've been working on wheels/tires for over 5 years now, and Chevrolet and Mercedes-Benz and a few other exotics started this back in the 90's. Using fix-a-flat torches these things. And there like 50 bux a pop right now. Given the fact of timeframe in 5 or so years when it's been healthy to replace for a few years, and they'll be like 20/per
Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Texas is on a distinguished road
Texas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
TPMS started becoming standard on corvettes partly because of the OEM run flat tires.

Safety issue.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Yota Doc
DocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to allDocBrown86 is a name known to all

Name: Brian
DocBrown86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most (if not all) dealers will check your tire pressure for free

TPMS is for the idiots that never check their air pressure.