Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

When Should I Paint Them???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
When Should I Paint Them???

I ordered my 5100's last night and got approved for the rear spring TSB last night as well. Im also ordering 265/75/16 duratracs. I have the oem steel wheels on my 2010 SWB Tacoma. I want to paint them black. Wanted some opinions on if I should paint them while the stock tires are still on or wait till the duratracs are on.

Heres the pros and cons of doing it now with the stockers on vs. waiting til the duratracs are on...

Pros
1. who cares if overspray gets on the tires?
2. if i break/loose a wheel weight they are getting re-balanced in a week or two

Cons
1. run the risk of the new black paint getting chipped/scratched during mounting and balancing.
2. if I put the weights back on they might mark up the new paint and the marks may be visible when the new weights are put back on.

What are your guys thoughts and opinions? Any other thoughts I haven't mentioned?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Just wait till the new tires are on. The paint will rub off the rubber when it dries anyway. Or you could slide the playing cards in around the wheel.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
wait til you get the new tires. the shop will not be careful with your paint job
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also, when they take your weights off to re-balance the tires you will have silver spots and have to re-paint anyways
Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
also, when they take your weights off to re-balance the tires you will have silver spots and have to re-paint anyways
Yea thats why I was going to take them off to paint them then put them back on. But are those things a one time use item?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
╒╪╕

that, im not sure about
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
Yea thats why I was going to take them off to paint them then put them back on. But are those things a one time use item?

Just trust us and wait till after you get new tires.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
also get them to put the weights to the inside of the rims when they do the balancing
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
╒╪╕

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
also get them to put the weights to the inside of the rims when they do the balancing
great advice right here. wish I would have thought of this at the time
Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
put your billys at 1.75 to level it out perfectly with the rear spring TSB.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
So i guess im going to wait to paint the wheels. Thats what I was kind of leaning towards anyway. And im planing on putting the billys to 1.75"