Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Question: 16" vs 17" on Sport

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Question Question: 16" vs 17" on Sport

After extensive searching here...I've not found a diffinitive answer to my question. So I'm needing a bit of info and advise.

First off....we are talking a Sport model which comes w/ 17" alloy rims.
After a 3" lift, I want to go with Konig Countersteer Offroad rims-black (see STR8 BEAST's build thread). But I'm almost certain they only come in 16".

I was checking out the BF Goodrich All terrains yesterday at SAM's Club and side by side compared 285/75/16 and 285/70/17. I like the look of the 16s better (bigger tire on smaller rim). I'd think there are advantages to having more rubber between the rim and the ground too.

So...I badly want to swap out the original 17" alloys for the 16" Konigs on my sport.

Two questions:
1) Can you put the 16" rim on the Sport model (any clearance issue)?
2) And...is there good reasons I should stay with 17" rims?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah there are a lot of guys out there that like that more rubber look which is cool. Yes, 16" wheels will fit on the Sports edition so you should be good to go in that aspect. Only thing good with staying with the 17" stocks would be to save money from buying the new 16" wheels. But if you stay with the stocks, you will probably need wheel spacers to clear your UCA's and if you go with the 16"s, make sure you get the proper backspacing and offset to clear your UCA's as well.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
vandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to all

vandolizm's Tacoma Gallery
TBird - Great question. I have been researching and debating the same issue. I want to get the Toytec Ultimate lift but can't decide on the wheel size.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah there are a lot of guys out there that like that more rubber look which is cool. Yes, 16" wheels will fit on the Sports edition so you should be good to go in that aspect. Only thing good with staying with the 17" stocks would be to save money from buying the new 16" wheels. But if you stay with the stocks, you will probably need wheel spacers to clear your UCA's and if you go with the 16"s, make sure you get the proper backspacing and offset to clear your UCA's as well.
x2
Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies WW_FF and Arch. That makes me feel better about the route I want to go. Now I just gotta find out what the proper backspacing and offset specs are.

Vandolizm...I too am planning the Toy-Ulitimate lift. Probably also going to get the TC uppers with it too.

So...what are the proper backspacing and offset specs (or how do I find out)?

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird View Post
Thanks for the replies WW_FF and Arch. That makes me feel better about the route I want to go. Now I just gotta find out what the proper backspacing and offset specs are.

Vandolizm...I too am planning the Toy-Ulitimate lift. Probably also going to get the TC uppers with it too.

So...what are the proper backspacing and offset specs (or how do I find out)?

Thanks again!
4.5" backspacing or a -12mm offset.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be going to a 16" wheel on my Sport. Same wheels actually. Just waiting for them to arrive next week hopefully. Going on Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16's.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery

315/75/16 on a 16x8 w/ 4" BS...mmmmm. the good backspace for a 285 is 4.5" like said above