Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need assistance for tires on these FJ wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Need assistance for tires on these FJ wheels

What tire size can I mount on these FJ wheels? I will be putting the setup on my stock SR5 DC 4x4 w/ stock suspension.

99% of my use is street. I'm thinking Michelin LTX A/T2's? Or maybe something a little more aggressive looking?

I'll probably get the rear TSB springs at some point...and maybe the front 5100's as well.
But I may do the wheels/tires before that...will I be OK doing so without the little bit of lift the TSB & 5100's add?

Also, will these wheels mount up without any spacers etc?

[Archangel, I see you as an expert in this area...you out there?]

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
What tire size can I mount on these FJ wheels? I will be putting the setup on my stock SR5 DC 4x4 w/ stock suspension.

99% of my use is street. I'm thinking Michelin LTX A/T2's? Or maybe something a little more aggressive looking?

I'll probably get the rear TSB springs at some point...and maybe the front 5100's as well.
But I may do the wheels/tires before that...will I be OK doing so without the little bit of lift the TSB & 5100's add?

Also, will these wheels mount up without any spacers etc?

[Archangel, I see you as an expert in this area...you out there?]

Thanks for any info.
Larry, you could put the Michelin A/T2, Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, BFG All-Terrain, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, etc. You could pretty much put any tire on there you want, but until you get the left or 5100's on, you're better off to put the 265/70/17 on there until you get the Billy's and TSB. You'd be able to quickly recoup your money and get another set of the same wheels and put your 285's on with spacers. Or, you could upgrade to aftermarket wheels with a lower offset and put the 285's on without a problem. FYI, Larry I have a set of these sitting in my shop. They're missing center caps, but I'm sure I could work something out
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Matt...I was hoping you'd chime in.

So, these wheels will bolt up with no problems, as long as I stay in the 265 tire size?

I'll PM you on your wheels.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks Matt...I was hoping you'd chime in.

So, these wheels will bolt up with no problems, as long as I stay in the 265 tire size?

I'll PM you on your wheels.
Yes, they will bolt up no problem provided you have the proper mag-shank style lugs, on the 265's
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Benny is on a distinguished road
Benny's Tacoma Gallery
What do you expect to pay for a set of those? I'm thinking of picking some up. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Discount Tire Company

Depending on the deal and condition, I've seen them go for 125-200 a wheel plus shipping
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
What do you expect to pay for a set of those? I'm thinking of picking some up. Thanks.
This set is priced at 400 + shipping.

Supposed to be "brand new in the box" and never used...with caps and nuts.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Larry, you could put the Michelin A/T2, Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, BFG All-Terrain, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, etc. You could pretty much put any tire on there you want, but until you get the left or 5100's on, you're better off to put the 265/70/17 on there until you get the Billy's and TSB. You'd be able to quickly recoup your money and get another set of the same wheels and put your 285's on with spacers. Or, you could upgrade to aftermarket wheels with a lower offset and put the 285's on without a problem. FYI, Larry I have a set of these sitting in my shop. They're missing center caps, but I'm sure I could work something out
Is the point of using spacers to move the wheel out from the center to avoid rubbbing? If you go after market wheel would you want to increase or decrease the offset to achieve the same thing the spacers do? And how much spacer/offset is needed to get the 285 wheel on and minimize rubbing?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This set is priced at 400 + shipping.

Supposed to be "brand new in the box" and never used...with caps and nuts.
That's a decent price considering you're getting the lugs and caps too.

When I bought mine 2 years ago, the average going price on ebay for a used set was $400 plus shipping.

I got a steal of deal on mine. I got a set of used ones on ebay from a guy in Ohio, $112.00 for all 4 wheels with OEM tires. I just have to drive 6 hours each way to get them. For that price is was a no brainer. After buying the center caps, paying for the "travel expenses", and selling my OEM 17" sport wheels and tires, I actually made a little over $200 on the deal, and ended up with the wheels I really wanted.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Discount Tire Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_1 View Post
Is the point of using spacers to move the wheel out from the center to avoid rubbbing? If you go after market wheel would you want to increase or decrease the offset to achieve the same thing the spacers do? And how much spacer/offset is needed to get the 285 wheel on and minimize rubbing?
The lower the offset, the further out the wheel moves toward the fender. You would probably need a negative offset to minimize the rubbing... Probably a 16x8.5 or a 17x8.5 with a -5 to -15 offset at the most