Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Opinions: Maxxis Bighorn Vs BFG KM2

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
zombiekiller is on a distinguished road
zombiekiller's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions: Maxxis Bighorn Vs BFG KM2

I'm tire shopping for 255/85r16 tires for my 2010 Taco.

The tire selection is limited in my area and i've narrowed it down to two tires.

BFG MT KM2 and Maxxis Bighorn MT 762

The price difference mounted, balanced and installed is approximately $40 per tire.

Is it worth the additional $160 to go with the BFG over the Maxxis?

The maxxis is heavier and I've read mixed reviews of durability ranging from awesome to awful. I've read that people get anywhere from 20K to 40K out of them.

The BFGs don't seem to be quite as tough offroad, but i am not doing any rocks. I'm assuming with proper rotation i can get at least 40K out of the BFGs.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would stick with the km2's. Great tire by a great company! I am getting Cooper ST's in that size
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
KM2's all the way. Maxxis aren't bad tires, their quality is just inconsistanly there. I'm not going to spend that kinda money on a crap shoot. I'd rather spend more the first time, and not have to worry about it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
KM2s are great
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
go KM2 out of those two.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
KM2s. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
KM2's all the way. Maxxis aren't bad tires, their quality is just inconsistanly there. I'm not going to spend that kinda money on a crap shoot. I'd rather spend more the first time, and not have to worry about it. Hope this helps.
this is where i'm at. If i could find a maxxis dealer in my state, The price gap would be more substantial ( no sales tax in DE), but i'd have to go to PA to buy them and would need to pay tax.

The BFG dealer that i found is also going to sell them to me for 209 per installed, which comes to about $9 more than the cheapest place i could find them on line and i don't need to contend with shipping.

Now i just have to wait for my coilovers to get here and install them, then i can get new shoes.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 3 sets of km2s. They are a great tire.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
09OFF-ROAD is on a distinguished road
09OFF-ROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
I've had 3 sets of km2s. They are a great tire.
what kind of milage did you get out of those tires? I'm looking at getting a set for this winter and putting my 35's up as i don't think my truck would be great in snow with balloons on!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Defently KM2!

I would go with a different size though.........I'm not a fan of the pizza cutters and they didn't impress me at all offroad. My BFG A/Ts walked circles around the KM2s in this size, but the 285s on the other hand inpressed me.
Too late! I'm sitting at the tire place getting them installed right now. I didn't want to have to buy ucas to go higher than 2.5" of lift and I didn't want to mess with any excessive trimming.

This way I get to keep my stock wheels and stay as low as possible.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
going up that much, dont forget to change your spare out aswell. you can do some serious damage to the driveline with that big of a difference in tire size should you have to use it
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
going up that much, dont forget to change your spare out aswell. you can do some serious damage to the driveline with that big of a difference in tire size should you have to use it
Already got the spare as well. I had to deflate it quite a bit to get it to fit in the stock location, but I carry around a 20lb co2 rig so it should be no issue.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
Already got the spare as well. I had to deflate it quite a bit to get it to fit in the stock location, but I carry around a 20lb co2 rig so it should be no issue.
Any idea what kind of psi the spare has in it? I was wondering about a 255 spare. I guess it would be a good reason to get an on board air system..