Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New tires and rims are on the way... Can someone translate this TPMS stuff?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
Question New tires and rims are on the way... Can someone translate this TPMS stuff?

This TPMS thing has been puzzling me for the past couple of hours searching through the forum so please help. I've bought aftermarket rims and new tires seperately online and there on the way. I was going to sell my stock steel wheel/tire as a combo so i was thinking I will need to buy a new TPMS system for my new wheel/tire combo since the black tape method doesnt appeal to me right? My question is will it be cheaper to...

A) buy a new set TPMS like this one on ebay (and do i need a hardware set too or anything else or will the install shop have it?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tacom...item58896de2f4

B) or have the shop take my old tire/wheel combo apart for the old TPMS, buy straps since there steelies and then put them back together so i can sell them (seems like i could sell them for more with the existing TPMS)

Also if I buy the new set on ebay, or with any TPMS set what is the talk about having it reprogramed or something like that from the dealer and it being expensive? Please clarify these things for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I would keep the sensors you have- Strap kit costs less then new sensors....and your "old" sensors aren't going to get you a return on investment = to the cost of the new sensors.
So...Get the strap kit imo.

If you did get new sensors- You'd have to take them to a shop or a dealership and have the new sensor serial numbers entered into the TPMS computer. I've heard anywhere from 40 to 90 dollars.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the strap kit. 20,000 miles on mine and no problems.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
State of Mind

Is that new set in the link from eBay what I would need? They look like they're selling just the sensors and missing a hardware kit ya? Or does someone have another link to somewhere selling the whole tpms kit?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydoogan View Post
Is that new set in the link from eBay what I would need? They look like they're selling just the sensors and missing a hardware kit ya? Or does someone have another link to somewhere selling the whole tpms kit?
That's all there is to the sensors. They just mount as your valve stems (unless you strap them).

If you need to strap them, the tire place should sell those, or you can buy them here.
http://www.revolutionsupply.com/sensorclip.aspx

You'll have to get those particular sensors programmed to your truck by the dealer.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
State of Mind

k i think im finally starting to figure this out. basically all i need to bring for the install is the tires, rims and those tpm sensors (like in the ebay link) and that should be all they need to install right? also are those 4 sensors all i need and set for install or do i need this additional tpms service kit with valve nut , a grommet, valve core too or is that just extra parts? then after they are installed i need to go to the dealer to have them programmed right im assuming. i think ive almost got it down lol
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
k i think im finally starting to figure this out. basically all i need to bring for the install is the tires, rims and those tpm sensors (like in the ebay link) and that should be all they need to install right?
yep
also are those 4 sensors all i need and set for install or do i need this additional tpms service kit with valve nut , a grommet, valve core too or is that just extra parts?
the tire shop will have all that if you need it
then after they are installed i need to go to the dealer to have them programmed right im assuming.
correct
i think ive almost got it down lol
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I thought Walmart could reprogram them for way less than the dealer.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
Does anybody know if the sensor in the temporary use spare is the same as the sensor on the TRD Sport wheels?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
State of Mind

I thought through all my sleuthing on tpms I saw somewhere on here that the 2010s don't have a sensor in the spare. Not 100 percent sure though
Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought through all my sleuthing on tpms I saw somewhere on here that the 2010s don't have a sensor in the spare. Not 100 percent sure though
That is correct.