Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Understanding Off sets

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
badguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police (95B)
badguybuster's Tacoma Gallery
Understanding Off sets

So, I was pondering off sets: positive, zero, and negative. I never really gave it much thought until I decided to put 35's on my Tundra. I got to looking around and found this info. Based on what I am reading here, having a large negative offset, lets say -18, is about the same as putting wheel spacers on your truck? Is that right? Since it puts extra stress on the hub and suspension.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.dos
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
So, I was pondering off sets: positive, zero, and negative. I never really gave it much thought until I decided to put 35's on my Tundra. I got to looking around and found this info. Based on what I am reading here, having a large negative offset, lets say -18, is about the same as putting wheel spacers on your truck? Is that right? Since it puts extra stress on the hub and suspension.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.dos
It really depends on the width of the rim as to how much the wheels stick out, but yes, the more negative the offset, the further out the wheel mounts from the center-point of the rim.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a site that explains some more.

As you can see from the chart about 1/3rd of the way down, the backspacing of the wheel depends on both the offset and the width.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

What you'll want to do is find out what the ideal backspacing is for a trundra to run 35's. Then when you find rims you like, you'll be able to use their wdith to determine what offset gets you to that ideal backspacing number.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
yeah, I saw that one too. Still doesnt answer the question tho. Does large negative off set cause the same issues are running spacers?
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't cause the same wear issues.

As you know, a spacer is basically just adding thickness to the rim seat, giving it an more negative apparent offset. So I don't see a difference between the two as far as stress goes.