Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Trading in load range E BFGs

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
whitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whitetaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Question Trading in load range E BFGs

All right I just got some 265/75/16 bfg all terrains load range E a couple weeks ago. I did not see any other load range options for the 16"s. Since then my mpgs have gone down significantly. I knew from the start that I was gonna lose a couple from leveling the truck out and putting on bigger tires but....I have been driving easier and changed all fluids air filter etc. Would going down to a less thick sidewalk such as the nitto Terra help? I got them at discount so I think I have 30 days to bring them back. No comments about changing driving style, I know and I have
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco01 View Post
All right I just got some 265/75/16 bfg all terrains load range E a couple weeks ago. I did not see any other load range options for the 16"s. Since then my mpgs have gone down significantly. I knew from the start that I was gonna lose a couple from leveling the truck out and putting on bigger tires but....I have been driving easier and changed all fluids air filter etc. Would going down to a less thick sidewalk such as the nitto Terra help? I got them at discount so I think I have 30 days to bring them back. No comments about changing driving style, I know and I have
Lower load range would help. The tires would be lighter and easier to get rolling so your gas mileage will be better. Load range E is excessive for a Tacoma unless you need the sidewall thickness for off-roading.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
whitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks. Any tire/load range suggestions?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to a load range C or D. The original tires are a C rating and is quite sufficient for our trucks for daily driving. I am driving with some used Toyos and they D ratings and Size is 265/75-16 and Im getting around 17 to 18 MPG.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
You can go to a load range C or D. The original tires are a C rating and is quite sufficient for our trucks for daily driving.
Im pretty sure the originals are P rated and not LT. Not entirely sure though.

the main reason I didn't go with the general grabber at2's in that size is because they only come in load range E. Way too heavy and stiff for a little 1st gen tacoma IMO.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with a SL or standard load range tire. If you don't do much towing or hauling, they do great. They're a little lighter than a C range tire but heavier than the P or passenger tires. I've towed and hauled with them without a problem.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

the main reason I didn't go with the general grabber at2's in that size is because they only come in load range E. Way too heavy and stiff for a little 1st gen tacoma IMO.
Ya you are correct Steve they were a passenger tire and Not a Light truck tire. So the tire ratings will be different. But they held up for me for 52,000 miles with No problems and I do haul our quads quite often.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Ya you are correct Steve they were a passenger tire and Not a Light truck tire. So the tire ratings will be different. But they held up for me for 52,000 miles with No problems and I do haul our quads quite often.
Well the Passenger rated tires are plenty for these trucks if you don't off road on really sharp rocks. My last set were passenger rated and they were fine, although one had 4 plugs in it due to nails. Still sold them for $40 with about 2/32" of tread left lol.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

Probably depends on where you buy your truck. Mine didn't come with P rated tires from the factory.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #10

Went to discount today and said there would be no difference in switching to a tire with a different load range. I guess I should have looked at these things before I bought the tires. I'm gonna do the deck plate mod and maybe squeeze out some more mpgs. Maybe lighter wheels in the future
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Duratracs. They're a Load Range C in the 265/75/16 and should take care of your problem. Hope this helps from a Manager at Discount Tire (North Carolina)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If you want more MPG use 5-20 synthetic oil. 5-30 kills the fuel economy. Just dont tow over 4500 pounds.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Go with the Duratracs. They're a Load Range C in the 265/75/16 and should take care of your problem. Hope this helps from a Manager at Discount Tire (North Carolina)
Which one you work at man?? im gonna need new tires soon and i might come see ya.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Have you factored in the new tire size? Going from 265/70/16 to 265/75/16 changes the revs per mile of your tires. If you were going from the stock Rugged Trails to the TA KO then the weight difference would only be about 70 pounds altogether.

I've got the same Load E BFGs and noticed a substantial mpg drop until I factored in the revs per mile. Get a scangauge if you really want to see what exactly your mpg is.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco01 View Post
Went to discount today and said there would be no difference in switching to a tire with a different load range. I guess I should have looked at these things before I bought the tires. I'm gonna do the deck plate mod and maybe squeeze out some more mpgs. Maybe lighter wheels in the future
I think you're getting screwed. If you look at the same tire with different load ranges, there should be a noticeable difference in price. Maybe they gave you a smoking deal on the E's but if you drop to LT or C, they should be cheaper. Good luck with your truck.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think you're getting screwed. If you look at the same tire with different load ranges, there should be a noticeable difference in price. Maybe they gave you a smoking deal on the E's but if you drop to LT or C, they should be cheaper. Good luck with your truck.
There's a 100% credit given on the tire towards purchase of a new tire. Depending on which tire he goes with, it might retail more expensive in a lower load range (i.e. all-terrain to mud, etc.)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
sgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of light
Army: Infantry
Name: Scott
sgrappone's Tacoma Gallery
I got 20.5 mpg this past Sunday on a trip I took with my load range E tires all though I am still running LT245/75/16. You have to remember that the estimated ratings from the manufacturer is traveling at a constant 55 mph which is the average speed at which any vehicle gets it's best mpg.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Discount Tire Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Which one you work at man?? im gonna need new tires soon and i might come see ya.
I'm in greater Charlotte