View Poll Results: AT or MT
BFG All Terrain 4 36.36%
BFG Mud Terrain KM2 7 63.64%
Other and explanation 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Question bout to order rims and tires

ok i got my lift on the way and so now im lookin into wheels and tires and 4wheelparts has some good lookin offers and prices i think right now so i think im gonna pull the trigger! i just wanna know what you guys think and it everything is gonna fit and work well

i think im gonna go with these rims cuz they are inexpensive and i really like the way they look. my only question is the dreaded backspacing and i have manual locking hubs and idk really how that works.... so yeah here they are
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...No=PCW98-5883F

and for tires i really want some 33x10.50 and ive heard great things about BFG ATs like they are just great all around and they wear really good but ive also been lookin at the BFG KM2s cuz they look like beasts. this is my daily driver but i like to hit trails around town. but pretty much if they are not gonna be on concrete the only thing we have around here is mud lol maybe a little sand here and there.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...artno=BFG63540
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...artno=BFG08012

any opinions or insight will be greatly appreciated

and rep for any of these questions answered
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using BFG ATs exclusively since the mid-to-late 80s on three different 4x4s

I live in Boulder, CO and travel up into the mountains a ton in the winter on all sorts of conditions. I also 4 wheel a bit. Nothing burly, relatively speaking, but certainly far more than groomed dirt roads, and I cannot express how awesome these tires are.

On road, off road, blizzards, rain (get them siped) - they perform to the max.

I know a bunch of people consider them overpriced because you're paying for the name, etc... but there's a reason these tires have become the gold standard of all around All Terrains.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok siped? what is that? and yeah ive only heard great things about them but idk there aint no snow in texas, or at least down south here. ive been thinkin about it and i mostly drive on the road but if its not concrete it will be mud. probally like 80% road 20% trail and mud or maybe a little less. i would love to here from someone with the KM2s
Old 09-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
I loved my BFG AT's also but they sucked in the rain, never got them in the snow but dry pavement was good and mud they tracked everything

I replaced them with Dynapro ATMs and defiantly alot better in the rain... still havent got them in snow either
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post
ok siped? what is that? and yeah ive only heard great things about them but idk there aint no snow in texas, or at least down south here. ive been thinkin about it and i mostly drive on the road but if its not concrete it will be mud. probally like 80% road 20% trail and mud or maybe a little less. i would love to here from someone with the KM2s
Siping is when you essentially cut horizontal grooves into the tread to help push water out from under your tires. It's essentially a must with all terrain tread, especially if you drive on snowy and rainy roads.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice2010whitetaco is just really nice

Name: Gaston
2010whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just a little fyi I bought some wheels from 4 wheel parts like that for my truck and I like you wasn’t sure about the backspacing stuff, I got a call a couple of days later about the wheels that I ordered not fitting my truck so I told them to cancel my order. I then found a different wheel that they said would fit and ordered that . It didn’t and rubbed on my brake caliber so I went to take them back and was told by the sales guy that I was in the wrong and that I was stuck with them. I then called my local 4-wheel parts that I just had a lift installed at I the best he could do was refund a portion of my money less the shipping and the restocking fee. The sales guys misinformation cost me about a 130 bucks. Make sure they will fit before you order them!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Siping is when you essentially cut horizontal grooves into the tread to help push water out from under your tires. It's essentially a must with all terrain tread, especially if you drive on snowy and rainy roads.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
i see! great info! i will most definitely look into that i was originally just gonna get the ATs but idk i really like the aggressive look of the MTs and the sidewall. but im still pretty concerned with keepin them MPGs up. idk i really wanted to get some ordered today but im torn lol

anybody know anything about the rims? backspacing? i heard those will work. idk about the manual hub really i figured it would be fine
Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010whitetaco View Post
Just a little fyi I bought some wheels from 4 wheel parts like that for my truck and I like you wasnít sure about the backspacing stuff, I got a call a couple of days later about the wheels that I ordered not fitting my truck so I told them to cancel my order. I then found a different wheel that they said would fit and ordered that . It didnít and rubbed on my brake caliber so I went to take them back and was told by the sales guy that I was in the wrong and that I was stuck with them. I then called my local 4-wheel parts that I just had a lift installed at I the best he could do was refund a portion of my money less the shipping and the restocking fee. The sales guys misinformation cost me about a 130 bucks. Make sure they will fit before you order them!
wow thats lame!!! and thats like my fear now. i didnt wanna be just another will it fit thread? but i couldnt find much info on some of the questions i had and i really wanna be sure. i also wanna order soon cuz they have a few rebate deals and stuff and im gonna feel dumb if i miss out lol
Old 09-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #10

i put a poll in cuz im a little bored and i just figured out how and i know how much everyone loves to vote!

What do ya think?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
you should check out the goodyear wrangler duratracs. i just got them and they are awesome. they look kind of like the km2s but are an all terrain instead of a mud terrain. so you will get the aggressive look in an all terrain. i just got them on and so far on the road they are great, pretty quiet for how aggressive they are. took them through a field and climbed some steep grass covered hills while in 2wd as well. haven't had them really offroad yet but many on this forum have and say they are great.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
You could say I'm a bit of a wheel and tire guy... I have a suggestion for you. You live in Houston... Why not just go to Discount Tire and take a picture of the wheel you want with the name of the wheel and it's Manufacturer, and if they can get it, they will, and beat ANY competitors TOTAL DRIVE OUT price. I have only ever run the BFG All-Terrains on my truck. I've never siped them, and never had any problems with wet traction, hydroplaning, uneven wear (provided you rotate them, and if you buy from Discount, they do it for FREE). I typically get about 65,000 plus out of them. I probably will replace them with the Mud Terrains because it's something I've always wanted to do. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me, and I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can for you.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
you should check out the goodyear wrangler duratracs. i just got them and they are awesome. they look kind of like the km2s but are an all terrain instead of a mud terrain. so you will get the aggressive look in an all terrain. i just got them on and so far on the road they are great, pretty quiet for how aggressive they are. took them through a field and climbed some steep grass covered hills while in 2wd as well. haven't had them really offroad yet but many on this forum have and say they are great.
The unfortunately, the Duratrac's have been out just long enough that they are starting to be replaced. My main concern regarding them is that the lifespan isn't as long as the BFG's, and they cost almost the same. Goodyear's have had consistant quality issues in the past. And given the amount of money that you spend on tires, you should get a tire that performs day in and out, time after time.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
The unfortunately, the Duratrac's have been out just long enough that they are starting to be replaced. My main concern regarding them is that the lifespan isn't as long as the BFG's, and they cost almost the same. Goodyear's have had consistant quality issues in the past. And given the amount of money that you spend on tires, you should get a tire that performs day in and out, time after time.
your right its a gamble with how long they will actually last since they have been out for only a little over a year. but almost everyone who has them said they are wearing evenly and nicely and they perform great in all conditions including snow which a mudder wouldn't. I know the OP is in Texas so snow isn't an issue but if hes looking for something that looks aggressive like a mudder but performs like an AT and is willing to take the gamble on how long they will actually last it might be something to look into.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
You could say I'm a bit of a wheel and tire guy... I have a suggestion for you. You live in Houston... Why not just go to Discount Tire and take a picture of the wheel you want with the name of the wheel and it's Manufacturer, and if they can get it, they will, and beat ANY competitors TOTAL DRIVE OUT price. I have only ever run the BFG All-Terrains on my truck. I've never siped them, and never had any problems with wet traction, hydroplaning, uneven wear (provided you rotate them, and if you buy from Discount, they do it for FREE). I typically get about 65,000 plus out of them. I probably will replace them with the Mud Terrains because it's something I've always wanted to do. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me, and I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can for you.
whoa spokesman for discount tire? lol yeah i always get my tires from there and i love the warranty they offer its so worth it i just didnt know they would price match. thats definitely worth a try. the ATs would probally suit me good cuz im not off road all that much but when i am it gets nasty fast and i really dont wanna get stuck. im really leaning on the MTs now.

im still not sure on the rims tho. i just wanna make sure they will fit with about 3" lift and 3.75 backspacing. i wanted to get this all ordered tonight but i suppose ill check out the numbers tomorrow
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR54x4 View Post
your right its a gamble with how long they will actually last since they have been out for only a little over a year. but almost everyone who has them said they are wearing evenly and nicely and they perform great in all conditions including snow which a mudder wouldn't. I know the OP is in Texas so snow isn't an issue but if hes looking for something that looks aggressive like a mudder but performs like an AT and is willing to take the gamble on how long they will actually last it might be something to look into.
yeah i checked them out and idk i like the sidewall but idk about the overall look and i really dont care for the price. people say the BFG ATs and MTs are expensive but they seem reasonable to me

Products Discussed in this Thread