1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealeship promotion involving nitrogen

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by surfsupl, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jul 9, 2008 at 11:00 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Out here in California we have a dealership promoting their cars and trucks that are for sale as having nitrogen filled tires. Has anyone ever heard of this or done this? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? Plus, this cannot be cheap to keep filled with nitrogen. I can see it as a ploy as getting you back in the dealership for servicing and charging you money for b.s. things. I think they claim that the nitrogen lasts 5 times longer in your tires that air?????????? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. Jul 10, 2008 at 12:45 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Costco does this on all the tires they sell. Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as regular air when the tires get hot. Plus I never have to add air to my tires. Where when using regular air I had to add it constantly. Even if you bought from this dealer, you do not have to run nitrogen in the tires. I would not pay extra for it. It doesn't cost the dealer anything, they have a pump that makes it. Same as Costco. You won't see them with a nitrogen bottle pulling up to your vehicle ( that would be too costly).

I think Nascar uses it.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Quote from the website:
    "Nitrogen in tires is becoming a popular replacement for standard air. Nitrogen is all around us... the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tire inflation, nitrogen has many advantages over oxygen. With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures."

3. Jul 10, 2008 at 3:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's gotta be the most stupid incentive I've ever heard.
    My gawd....Give the consumer some CASH incentives. If they want nitrogen, they can get it on their own.

Sorry, not argueing the usage of Nitrogen. I'm personally not convinced it makes that much of a difference in gas savings for daily driving vehicles. Just another gas saving gimmick to lure the consumers into thinking they're gonna save tons of money on gas.

4. Jul 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I agree. How about instead of nitrogen,give me some nitrous to inhale to calm my nerves for the price I just paid for this car/truck! :eek:

5. Jul 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM
    TACOCRAZY

TACOCRAZY Active Member

Member:
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 double cab
    Custom made 15 degree offset t-handle billet aluminum shifter handle, more to come
    Ok, the benefits of nitrogen all correctly assume that 90% or more of the people out there don't regularly check their air pressure. On the scientific level, nitro molecules are larger than other naturally occuring air molecules, and that fact prevents nitro from seeping thru the rubber, which even brand new tires will seep the smaller air molecules. Most people have their air checked at their oil change, which is usually too late and they have been running low air pressure long enough to wear their tires on the edges. They have also been suffering from poor gas mileage. As a service advisor at a Toyota dealer I recommend nitro and use it in my truck. There are some proud people who take care of their ride and know how to...including checking air pressure. Those people would not really benefit from nitro. But all the lazy people would!:D

6. Jul 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    My SE-R had nitrogen filled tires.

7. Jul 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I have had nitrogen filled tires myself and it seems to hold pressure more consistantly but I wouldn't say its a an incentive to buy there over the next place.

8. Jul 14, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Yeah! Dealers are always trying gimmicks to make you buy from them. I had one dealer that I bought a tacoma from offer "Free Tires for Life". Of course there was a catch. You had to pay for the tires to be rotated & balanced @ every oil change, which you had to have done at that dealer. I added it up & It would have cost $1,000 for the services (by the time you would need tires). The tires would have cost $600, if you purchased them. Oh and if you missed one balance & rotate, the deal was off.

Dealers should concentrate on giving the best deal in town & not cheap gimicks. I bought a Jeep from a dealer that was like no other! (see their philosophy on their website- http://www.jasperjeepdodgechrysler.com/dealership/about.htm )
    If a Toyota dealer was like this, they would blow the competition away!

9. Jul 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    I think the reasoning behind it is the nitrogen is pure gas, where as the air we breathe actually has a lot of moisture in it. When tire pressure increases and decreases with heat, I believe this is mostly attributed to the moisture in the tire, not the air. Where I'm from it's quite a common thing, all the tire shops can fill your tire if it is low, and if your tire is low, there is usually something wrong with it, so they take a look at it. It really does make sense, to me anyway. and it is pretty cheap, I've never paid for a fill before, the shops just do it for free.

10. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    Its a gimmick. Considering that the air that normally gets put into your tires from an everyday compressor has nitrogen in it anyway. They say that putting near pure nitrogen in your tires holds pressure better. In my mind, pure crap..

Tires are never, ever, filled with pure oxygen as someone may try to convince you of that. PURE oxygen, is very, very combustable, and very, very expandable. Your tires would expand 5-8 psi under normal conditions possibly if they were filled with pure oxygen, and if god for bid you had a blowout, or a spark somewhere, instant boom.
    Also, filling your tires with air thats been rid of ALL moisture is bad as well. As rubber dries out naturally without a bit of moisture. That would cause internal cracks and unsafe tires.

Unless your a nascar or formula one team that runs their tires at extremely high temps for long periods of time. no benefit whatsoever. They see a benefit because of expansion. Nitrogen expands less than oxygen IN THAT CASE. You may reach a high temp when you drive, but not even close to what they reach. Why do you think they need new tires multiple times during a race? different tread compound, different times, different driving... not applicable in your case most likely, unless, unless, you have an x runner that you take out to 130-150 mph on your local interstate.

My vote? get an air compressor. fill em when they need it. Or drive down to your local wawa, 7 eleven, quickie stop whatever, and pop a few quarters in it..

11. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Up here, it's a very common thing, due to the aforementioned expansion (or lack thereof) reasons.

Personally, my tires are filled with nitrogen, but I absolutely won't pay for it. It's exactly the same as regular air when it comes down to the daily driver.

12. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Costco does Nitrogen for FREE when you buy tires from them. Along with FREE road hazard, & ballance & rotate.

13. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i use it in mine,but its only because i get it free at work.

14. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    My Taco came with nitrogen, didn't even know til after I bought when they started informing me about the truck. It's more of an inconvenience imo, and I haven't really noticed any difference. Although the tire pressure has held up so far. When ever one gets low, I will probably just fire up my compressor and fill it with air. I'm not going to go running to the dealer for a low tire. If I happen to be there for some reason then fine.

15. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Air is nearly 80% nitrogen. Discuss.

16. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    they must have overfilled your font while you were on their lot...:D

17. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:23 AM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Purely a gimmick. Even if nitrogen is a tiny bit better at something than oxygen, 100% nitrogen vs 80% nitrogen is such a small difference any possible positives would be so tiny they may as well not exist at all.

I would actually stay away from any shop using nitrogen, it's a sign that they don't know how to manage their money. Either it's money you could be saving for the price of their service, money they could be spending on better tools, paying their techs better, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top