Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Dealeship promotion involving nitrogen

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Dealeship promotion involving nitrogen

Out here in California we have a dealership promoting their cars and trucks that are for sale as having nitrogen filled tires. Has anyone ever heard of this or done this? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? Plus, this cannot be cheap to keep filled with nitrogen. I can see it as a ploy as getting you back in the dealership for servicing and charging you money for b.s. things. I think they claim that the nitrogen lasts 5 times longer in your tires that air??????????
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Out here in California we have a dealership promoting their cars and trucks that are for sale as having nitrogen filled tires. Has anyone ever heard of this or done this? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? Plus, this cannot be cheap to keep filled with nitrogen. I can see it as a ploy as getting you back in the dealership for servicing and charging you money for b.s. things. I think they claim that the nitrogen lasts 5 times longer in your tires that air??????????
Costco does this on all the tires they sell. Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as regular air when the tires get hot. Plus I never have to add air to my tires. Where when using regular air I had to add it constantly. Even if you bought from this dealer, you do not have to run nitrogen in the tires. I would not pay extra for it. It doesn't cost the dealer anything, they have a pump that makes it. Same as Costco. You won't see them with a nitrogen bottle pulling up to your vehicle ( that would be too costly).

I think Nascar uses it.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Quote from the website:
"Nitrogen in tires is becoming a popular replacement for standard air. Nitrogen is all around us... the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is small amounts of other gasses. When it comes to tire inflation, nitrogen has many advantages over oxygen. With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures."
Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That's gotta be the most stupid incentive I've ever heard.
My gawd....Give the consumer some CASH incentives. If they want nitrogen, they can get it on their own.

Sorry, not argueing the usage of Nitrogen. I'm personally not convinced it makes that much of a difference in gas savings for daily driving vehicles. Just another gas saving gimmick to lure the consumers into thinking they're gonna save tons of money on gas.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. How about instead of nitrogen,give me some nitrous to inhale to calm my nerves for the price I just paid for this car/truck!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
TACOCRAZY is on a distinguished road
TACOCRAZY's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, the benefits of nitrogen all correctly assume that 90% or more of the people out there don't regularly check their air pressure. On the scientific level, nitro molecules are larger than other naturally occuring air molecules, and that fact prevents nitro from seeping thru the rubber, which even brand new tires will seep the smaller air molecules. Most people have their air checked at their oil change, which is usually too late and they have been running low air pressure long enough to wear their tires on the edges. They have also been suffering from poor gas mileage. As a service advisor at a Toyota dealer I recommend nitro and use it in my truck. There are some proud people who take care of their ride and know how to...including checking air pressure. Those people would not really benefit from nitro. But all the lazy people would!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I have had nitrogen filled tires myself and it seems to hold pressure more consistantly but I wouldn't say its a an incentive to buy there over the next place.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm156 View Post
I have had nitrogen filled tires myself and it seems to hold pressure more consistantly but I wouldn't say its a an incentive to buy there over the next place.
Yeah! Dealers are always trying gimmicks to make you buy from them. I had one dealer that I bought a tacoma from offer "Free Tires for Life". Of course there was a catch. You had to pay for the tires to be rotated & balanced @ every oil change, which you had to have done at that dealer. I added it up & It would have cost $1,000 for the services (by the time you would need tires). The tires would have cost $600, if you purchased them. Oh and if you missed one balance & rotate, the deal was off.

Dealers should concentrate on giving the best deal in town & not cheap gimicks. I bought a Jeep from a dealer that was like no other! (see their philosophy on their website- http://www.jasperjeepdodgechrysler.c...ship/about.htm )
If a Toyota dealer was like this, they would blow the competition away!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
I think the reasoning behind it is the nitrogen is pure gas, where as the air we breathe actually has a lot of moisture in it. When tire pressure increases and decreases with heat, I believe this is mostly attributed to the moisture in the tire, not the air. Where I'm from it's quite a common thing, all the tire shops can fill your tire if it is low, and if your tire is low, there is usually something wrong with it, so they take a look at it. It really does make sense, to me anyway. and it is pretty cheap, I've never paid for a fill before, the shops just do it for free.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its a gimmick. Considering that the air that normally gets put into your tires from an everyday compressor has nitrogen in it anyway. They say that putting near pure nitrogen in your tires holds pressure better. In my mind, pure crap..

Tires are never, ever, filled with pure oxygen as someone may try to convince you of that. PURE oxygen, is very, very combustable, and very, very expandable. Your tires would expand 5-8 psi under normal conditions possibly if they were filled with pure oxygen, and if god for bid you had a blowout, or a spark somewhere, instant boom.
Also, filling your tires with air thats been rid of ALL moisture is bad as well. As rubber dries out naturally without a bit of moisture. That would cause internal cracks and unsafe tires.

Unless your a nascar or formula one team that runs their tires at extremely high temps for long periods of time. no benefit whatsoever. They see a benefit because of expansion. Nitrogen expands less than oxygen IN THAT CASE. You may reach a high temp when you drive, but not even close to what they reach. Why do you think they need new tires multiple times during a race? different tread compound, different times, different driving... not applicable in your case most likely, unless, unless, you have an x runner that you take out to 130-150 mph on your local interstate.

My vote? get an air compressor. fill em when they need it. Or drive down to your local wawa, 7 eleven, quickie stop whatever, and pop a few quarters in it..
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Up here, it's a very common thing, due to the aforementioned expansion (or lack thereof) reasons.

Personally, my tires are filled with nitrogen, but I absolutely won't pay for it. It's exactly the same as regular air when it comes down to the daily driver.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would use nitrogen if I started having problems with TPMS corrosion.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery

Costco does Nitrogen for FREE when you buy tires from them. Along with FREE road hazard, & ballance & rotate.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i use it in mine,but its only because i get it free at work.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco came with nitrogen, didn't even know til after I bought when they started informing me about the truck. It's more of an inconvenience imo, and I haven't really noticed any difference. Although the tire pressure has held up so far. When ever one gets low, I will probably just fire up my compressor and fill it with air. I'm not going to go running to the dealer for a low tire. If I happen to be there for some reason then fine.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Air is nearly 80% nitrogen. Discuss.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
they must have overfilled your font while you were on their lot...
Old 06-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Purely a gimmick. Even if nitrogen is a tiny bit better at something than oxygen, 100% nitrogen vs 80% nitrogen is such a small difference any possible positives would be so tiny they may as well not exist at all.

I would actually stay away from any shop using nitrogen, it's a sign that they don't know how to manage their money. Either it's money you could be saving for the price of their service, money they could be spending on better tools, paying their techs better, etc.