Notices

rim help (backspacing)

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
whiteyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Zachary
whiteyota's Tacoma Gallery
rim help (backspacing)

Need some help finding the right size rim. i want a 15" rim but i want my tires to stick out a little about 1 1/2"-2" from the widest part of the truck im running 31x10.50 so how much back spacing do i need and whats my bolt pattern (1997 tacoma 4x4) THANKS
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I really think you're limiting yourself too much on what wheel to get if you're only looking at the backspacing. What I suggest you do is get the wheels you like and then use a spacer to put it where you want.

Spacers will end up:
* being a lot cheaper ($100/pair for spidertrax)
* allow for a lot more flexibility (choose closer to whatever wheel you like instead of the few that have just the perfect amount of backspacing)
* let you adjust exactly how much you want (they come in all sort of thicknesses)
* allow you to remove them if you want

Your bolt pattern is just the standard bolt pattern toyota has used forever on the 6 lugs. 6x5.5" or 6x139.7mm
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
your stock backspace is 4.5"

a lot of 15" wheels are between 3.75" and 4" backspace...

the 3.75" will help your tires look beefy but without flares, it could also end up looking a bit off...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyota View Post
Need some help finding the right size rim. i want a 15" rim but i want my tires to stick out a little about 1 1/2"-2" from the widest part of the truck im running 31x10.50 so how much back spacing do i need and whats my bolt pattern (1997 tacoma 4x4) THANKS
From the picture in your sig your truck doesn't appear to have flares, is that correct?

Backspacing is dependent on rim width. If you are getting an 8" wide rim then 3.5" of backspacing will push the wheel out quite a bit. They will appear to be sticking past the fender edge by more than an inch.