Notices

Toyo Open Country M/T's

View Poll Results: Which tire size?
35x12.5x17's 11 42.31%
285/75/17's 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
MDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kohler
MDBigRed's Tacoma Gallery
Toyo Open Country M/T's

Who's got them?? How is the tread wear? I'm debating between the 35x12.5x17's (34.8" diameter, 13.2" wide) or the 285x75x17's (34.1" diameter, 11.6" wide). I'm about to install rear custom 6" alcans, and i have 6-7" coilovers cranked up in the front. I've got 4.56 gears to push these bad boys so power isn't a concern.

I wheel my truck and these are my daily drivers. YES i know there are rubbing issues with 35's. Anyone having issues stuffing 35's in the rear wheel wells when flexed?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
I have them and love them.They are notorious for getting lots of miles out of them.
i Have 275/70R18 and the tire barely clears the fender when flexed in the rear.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
~THE LIGHT GUY~
TBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the mileage. I have had two sets. My first set made it 45k miles, which is unheard of in a mud terrain. I just bought my second set and I love them. They get awesome traction off road also. I have flexed the he'll out of mine with no rubbing issues in the rear. I am running 35x12.50x18s. I don't think you will be disappointed with these tires. They rock. They look badass too.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
MDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMDBigRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBK224 View Post
x2 on the mileage. I have had two sets. My first set made it 45k miles, which is unheard of in a mud terrain. I just bought my second set and I love them. They get awesome traction off road also. I have flexed the he'll out of mine with no rubbing issues in the rear. I am running 35x12.50x18s. I don't think you will be disappointed with these tires. They rock. They look badass too.
Good to hear! I feel like these have a little bit of an edge over the Nitto Trail Grapplers. You're running the same size as me basically so it's good you don't have any issues in the rear. How about up front?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Toyo MTs are so sick... I've wanted a set forever but it is just not practical.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
~THE LIGHT GUY~
TBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBigRed View Post
Good to hear! I feel like these have a little bit of an edge over the Nitto Trail Grapplers. You're running the same size as me basically so it's good you don't have any issues in the rear. How about up front?
I personally like them WAY better than the trail grapplers. The front has plenty of clearance also, but I do have 5100s up front to give a little extra lift. They wear really good as long as you have a good alignment and rotate them often.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Quote:
I personally like them WAY better than the trail grapplers. The front has plenty of clearance also, but I do have 5100s up front to give a little extra lift. They wear really good as long as you have a good alignment and rotate them often.
Not only do they look great but they perform well too I definitely have to fork over some serious cash, but i view it as a worthy investment
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
road noise, will I notice a big difference from my bfg a/t's?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
4ari trd is on a distinguished road

4ari trd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are louder and those mt suck I had them on my truck I didn't even get 30k out of them. The bfg mud terrains are way better or the hankook ones.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ari trd View Post
Yes they are louder and those mt suck I had them on my truck I didn't even get 30k out of them. The bfg mud terrains are way better or the hankook ones.
I think they've improved the rubber they use. I know they're really hard to get right now, which means they're moving the factory. I think I read somewhere that currently these tires are being make in the US
Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Can you fit the 285/75/17s with a 3inch lift?

I have Hankook MTs now and they are lasting forever. I put 20k on a year and they are getting louder as they wear down though..typical for any MT. I'd like a little bigger tire.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Can you fit the 285/75/17s with a 3inch lift?

I have Hankook MTs now and they are lasting forever. I put 20k on a year and they are getting louder as they wear down though..typical for any MT. I'd like a little bigger tire.
I wouldn't with a 3". I had 285/70/17's with my 3" and they rubbed a bunch with articulation. the 285/75/17's are a full inch greater in diameter. i think they make a 33x11.5x17 though
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
I just helped chop and mangle a 4" spindle lift on 35's lastnight. Only thing in the rear that contacted was the plastic fender in the rear. Mine didnt even do that with 35's.

Up front is a whole different ball game. If you flex it out, your going to be hitting the firewall. So everything else needs to be clearanced for that, and some firewall massaging. Remember, when flexing, your not always going straight. This is where people dont believe me, they send me pics of them flexing with the wheels straight, and say "See!"

Anyways. Thats my 0.02. Do with it what you may. My 33's still grab the plastic I put against my firewall, for cleared 35's.
I have NO idea what you said hear, Your avatar picture is TO distracting ...LOL
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
I just helped chop and mangle a 4" spindle lift on 35's lastnight. Only thing in the rear that contacted was the plastic fender in the rear. Mine didnt even do that with 35's.

Up front is a whole different ball game. If you flex it out, your going to be hitting the firewall. So everything else needs to be clearanced for that, and some firewall massaging. Remember, when flexing, your not always going straight. This is where people dont believe me, they send me pics of them flexing with the wheels straight, and say "See!"

Anyways. Thats my 0.02. Do with it what you may. My 33's still grab the plastic I put against my firewall, for cleared 35's.
I totally get what you're saying. I've been to rausch creek a couple times now I would like bigger tires than my 33's because i have the clearance and my 4.56 gears are keeping my revs pretty high. a larger tire will help bring that down a bit
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How long did you have the trail grapplers and what specifically did you not like about them? Or is it it just a looks thing?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Royce
yamaha73's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have them on my taco but i do have them on my ford and there 37"s awsome tire, that will be the only offroad tire i will buy. and if you like going in sand they do great, i didnt even air down and they did great
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have these tires. There pretty good wheeling tires and they don't make any noise on the road.=)
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
They are my dream tire and I plan on getting them for my next set. A friend of mine has a set on his suburban and he has 50k miles on them and still going strong.