LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Word to the wise - Lug nut torque

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
korny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud of

Name: John
korny351's Tacoma Gallery
Word to the wise - Lug nut torque

Not really a Tacoma issue, but I just pulled the wheels on my wifes CR-V to check the brakes. Went to remove the lug nuts and almost busted mine. Had gone to Americas Tire 2 weeks ago to have the tires rotated. Just to satisfy my curiosity I used my torque wrench to loosen the lugs and had to jack up the setting to 140 ft/lb to remove the lugs w/o the wrench clicking. Called the shop and talked to the manager, very apologetic. Figure the tech probably forgot to reset the wrench after working on something much bigger.

If you've had someone else remove your wheels recently, double check torque before you get caught out in the middle of nowhere trying to remove the lugs with the short factory wrench.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korny351 View Post
Not really a Tacoma issue, but I just pulled the wheels on my wifes CR-V to check the brakes. Went to remove the lug nuts and almost busted mine. Had gone to Americas Tire 2 weeks ago to have the tires rotated. Just to satisfy my curiosity I used my torque wrench to loosen the lugs and had to jack up the setting to 140 ft/lb to remove the lugs w/o the wrench clicking. Called the shop and talked to the manager, very apologetic. Figure the tech probably forgot to reset the wrench after working on something much bigger.

If you've had someone else remove your wheels recently, double check torque before you get caught out in the middle of nowhere trying to remove the lugs with the short factory wrench.
FYI you should not use a torque wrench to loosen.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
korny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud of

Name: John
korny351's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't aware of that fact. Figured that since they were reversible there wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it's not good for it. And you really shouldn't use an impact to put them on either. Maybe initially, but stop immediately after it grabs. I bought a $20 2' breaker bar and a 22mm socket for it to take the lugs off if necessary.

Screw using that little 1' bastard. The 2' breaker makes it so easy to remove.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
90 ft lbs works great. Your story doesn't surprise me one bit. I just took my wife and her truck to my shop for her and I to do a practice tire change with the tools and jack the truck has because she was taking a road trip without me. What did we find? Her tiny bottle jack doesn't cut it without a block of wood carried in the truck somewhere. Great to know before a real world situation. So was searching for the jack for 10 minutes. (Chevy Avalanche)

It's important to know you have them torqued in the correct range, and by having them at the correct torque, can get them off on the side of the road with the tools the truck comes with.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Yeah it's not good for it. And you really shouldn't use an impact to put them on either. Maybe initially, but stop immediately after it grabs. I bought a $20 2' breaker bar and a 22mm socket for it to take the lugs off if necessary.

Pretty sure the stock lugnuts are21mm
Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Called the shop and talked to the manager, very apologetic. Figure the tech probably forgot to reset the wrench after working on something much bigger.
More like the tech was lazy and just used an impact....
Quote:
Wasn't aware of that fact. Figured that since they were reversible there wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads-up.
They go in reverse so they can be used to torque left-hand threaded items.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you have a torque stick - you can.
How much are those though? I want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Pretty sure the stock lugnuts are21mm
I think you're right. For some reason I have 22mm stuck in my head. I do find the right socket in the end, but I'm pretty sure I always grab the 22 thinking it's right and going, nope that's too loose.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much are those though? I want one.
Like any tool, you can spend a fortune on them or a little bit. I've seen sets online for $45 (4 piece set). Or, you could buy one single one (in the torque you want) for $$$. I can't remember the kind we have.... our neighbor was a tech at a BMW dealer and he got me one through his dealership. I still check the torque (with regular torque wrench) after all 4 wheels are back on the ground. Makes for faster tire rotations that's for sure.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
The lug nuts used on the wheels can affect how well the wheel is held on. When I put after market wheels on a SR5 I found out that the wheel studs are not very long. I had 4 threads engagement with the lug nuts Discount Tires sold with the wheels. Had to buy special lugs to get 8 threads of engagement.

The OP had a problem getting the wheels off and my problem was they could easily fall off.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note...

Over-torqueing/tightning lug nuts can warp rotors.

And yeah, if you're a girl (like me) or a little on the wimpy side - I usually have a big long piece of pipe with me to give me more leverage. I've 'been there done that' and couldn't get even a regularly torqued lugs off with the shorty pipes.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Taking off my brothers wheels on his jeep about half or more of the lug broke because the shop that put them on over torqued them (from previous owner).
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you have a torque stick - you can.

torque sticks are garbage
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Goldmember
Skywalker6 is on a distinguished road

Skywalker6's Tacoma Gallery
Lugs

[QUOTE=I usually have a big long piece of pipe with me to give me more leverage.[/QUOTE]

That's what she said.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker6 View Post
That's what she said.
After I told her to.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: if you torque your lugs to 90lbs and go to remove them 2 weeks later, they will require more than 90lbs to get them off.

Ever notice how it's always easier to tighten bolts, than to loosen them?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Your story doesn't surprise me one bit.
X's a million!

Also, using anti seize lube helps keep your threads healthy!!
You get a nice true torque - without stressing the threads on and off as when they're bone dry and squeaking of pain! And you'll never worry of breaking them free on the shoulder of the hwy.

Yea, anything more than 80-90lbs is just acting like a gorilla.....the wheel aint going nowhere!
People so often tend to over torque things without even applying logic to only what the part needs in torque. More is better, right?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 AM   #20
Textbook Fucking Mental
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkturbo! View Post
Also, using anti seize lube helps keep your threads healthy!!
You get a nice true torque - without stressing the threads on and off as when they're bone dry and squeaking of pain! And you'll never worry of breaking them free on the shoulder of the hwy.
Do NOT put Anti-Seize on the lug studs. Anti-Seize is a friction modifier. You want to modify the friction that holds your wheels on? Also why you don't want to spray WD40, PB Blaster, things like that on the studs either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
torque sticks are garbage
Ummm...not really.

If anyone is in the market, I could always be a source to get a Torque Stick through. Snap On guy comes around every week and I can order one off him and ship it out if someone really wants a torque stick.