Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS light flashing

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
TPMS light flashing

Anyone have any idea why my TPMS light is flashing? All 5 tires are at the same/correct pressure. I called a local dealership thinking maybe the batteries in the sensors are bad and need to be replaced, but they seemed to think there weren't batteries in them. Can anyone confirm that? Or give me an idea what the problem is? I tried the reset switch, but that didn't help. I haven't changed wheels or tires recently, or even had them worked on. The battery did die a couple times though and needed to be recharged (dead as in NONE of the lights worked).
Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Anyone have any idea why my TPMS light is flashing? All 5 tires are at the same/correct pressure. I called a local dealership thinking maybe the batteries in the sensors are bad and need to be replaced, but they seemed to think there weren't batteries in them. Can anyone confirm that? Or give me an idea what the problem is? I tried the reset switch, but that didn't help. I haven't changed wheels or tires recently, or even had them worked on. The battery did die a couple times though and needed to be recharged (dead as in NONE of the lights worked).
I have absolutely no knowledge in this area but I wonder if one of the sensors broke loose in the tire.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have a brochure from my local tire warehouse on TPMS on my desk. One of things written in the "Things you should know about your TPMS unit" is

"Each sensor has an internal battery designed for up to 10 years of service. In the future, the TPMS sensor may require replacement when the battery life expires."

It also said something about the sensors may experience internal corrosion buildup that will ruin the valve core.

"Frozen valve cores may require complete sensor replacement. Do not expose internal valve stems to any corrosion or moisture to protect your valve stem sensors."

Hmmm, corrosion? moisture? vermont? My TPMS is toast at some point! Maybe this helps.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
I have absolutely no knowledge in this area but I wonder if one of the sensors broke loose in the tire.
I doubt it... We haven't really been driving it that much let alone off roading, or anything else that could damage it. I just assumed after 2 years the batteries needed to be replaced, but the service department told me no. They use radio waves. That would make more sense than batteries I suppose. Now I'm wondering if the battery dieing cause the system to reset and now need to be reprogrammed at the dealer (sensor serial numbers, etc).
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
fritzthecat will become famous soon enough

Navy:
fritzthecat's Tacoma Gallery
If your TPMS light blinks for 5 seconds and then lights steady, one or more of the tire pressures are out of spec.
If the light blinks contineously, you have a malfunction in the system. Either the RF receiver is bad or one of the sensors is broken.
You need to go to a Toyota dealer because they are the only ones that have the $$$ equipment to troubleshoot the system. New sensors are about U$120 each.

The sensors have batteries. The system will illuminate the light whenever one of the sensors reports a tire pressure +/- 4 psi from the set value. You set the value with the reset button.

Fritz
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzthecat View Post
If the light blinks contineously, you have a malfunction in the system. Either the RF receiver is bad or one of the sensors is broken.
You need to go to a Toyota dealer because they are the only ones that have the $$$ equipment to troubleshoot the system. New sensors are about U$120 each.
I have this issue. Toyota has already replaced one sensore, and they are about to do the same for another. The thing is only 3 months old with 10,000 miles on it. WTF?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I have this issue. Toyota has already replaced one sensore, and they are about to do the same for another. The thing is only 3 months old with 10,000 miles on it. WTF?
do you think this can be related to changing your stock tires or something???
Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
do you think this can be related to changing your stock tires or something???
No, because they told me that if it was the changing of the tires, then they wouldn't pay for it. They said that the sensor had just stopped responding.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
I have a brochure from my local tire warehouse on TPMS on my desk. One of things written in the "Things you should know about your TPMS unit" is

"Each sensor has an internal battery designed for up to 10 years of service. In the future, the TPMS sensor may require replacement when the battery life expires."

It also said something about the sensors may experience internal corrosion buildup that will ruin the valve core.

"Frozen valve cores may require complete sensor replacement. Do not expose internal valve stems to any corrosion or moisture to protect your valve stem sensors."

Hmmm, corrosion? moisture? vermont? My TPMS is toast at some point! Maybe this helps.

Thanks. I figured there was a battery in each valve stem. Really makes me wonder if I should go to that dealer or not... They couldn't even tell me how much it cost to replace the valve stems. Only that it was $91/hr to look at it.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Devout Atheist

Quote:
If your TPMS light blinks for 5 seconds and then lights steady, one or more of the tire pressures are out of spec.

The sensors have batteries. The system will illuminate the light whenever one of the sensors reports a tire pressure +/- 4 psi from the set value. You set the value with the reset button.

Fritz
Crap! 120 f'n dollars for these damn things!! I liked having the system, but hell, disabling it's beginning to look like a better option.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
2nd2none is on a distinguished road
Navy: Nuke MM out after 11yrs
2nd2none's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Had the same thing happen to my truck. I bought the TRD Ivan Stewart rims and some new tires but I was able to have the tire shop move my sensors to the new rims. worked fine for months then I was on deployment while in the Navy and my friend slacked off on driving the truck around periodically and let the battery die. When i got back the sensor light kept flashing. All my tire pressures were about the same and since I've got the URD supercharger on my truck I couldnt just take it into a dealer to have them look at it. I know you can do some wiring snipping to disable it but i've just ignored the flashing for about a year now.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd2none View Post
Had the same thing happen to my truck. I bought the TRD Ivan Stewart rims and some new tires but I was able to have the tire shop move my sensors to the new rims. worked fine for months then I was on deployment while in the Navy and my friend slacked off on driving the truck around periodically and let the battery die. When i got back the sensor light kept flashing. All my tire pressures were about the same and since I've got the URD supercharger on my truck I couldnt just take it into a dealer to have them look at it. I know you can do some wiring snipping to disable it but i've just ignored the flashing for about a year now.
Yeah, I just can't justify $91/hr to find out the sensors need to be programmed back into the system plus whatever the f*&K that is gonna cost me.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
jhkorn is on a distinguished road
Name: JK
jhkorn's Tacoma Gallery
Blinking can mean multiple tires are low on air.

Quote:

Fritz
After driving home when the temp dropped to the teens and snowing my light starting blinking and wouldn't go out. I checked the tires and all were really low due to a sudden temp drop. Two days later I had them all filled including the spare and the light went out. It's my conclusion that blinking can also mean multiple sensors are reporting a malfunction. So fill all tires including spare, wait a few minutes and see if the light goes out.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkorn View Post
After driving home when the temp dropped to the teens and snowing my light starting blinking and wouldn't go out. I checked the tires and all were really low due to a sudden temp drop. Two days later I had them all filled including the spare and the light went out. It's my conclusion that blinking can also mean multiple sensors are reporting a malfunction. So fill all tires including spare, wait a few minutes and see if the light goes out.
Same thing happened to me during this latest deep freeze here
Old 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
Poodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud of
Poodle Head Mikey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking I can keep checking my own tire pressures

They told me $600. for new sensors (as they don't know how many are defective) and then some additional charge that I forget for programing them to play nice with my truck. I have owned more than fifty vehicles in my life so far and only one other one has had a tire pressure monitoring system. So, all things considered; the better part of $1000. to have some tire-nanny thing which does what I have quite successfully done myself for decades seems pretty darned silly to me. Taking the warning light bulb out of the dash seems more like The Way Of A Reasonable Man. <g>
Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
They told me $600. for new sensors (as they don't know how many are defective) and then some additional charge that I forget for programing them to play nice with my truck. I have owned more than fifty vehicles in my life so far and only one other one has had a tire pressure monitoring system. So, all things considered; the better part of $1000. to have some tire-nanny thing which does what I have quite successfully done myself for decades seems pretty darned silly to me. Taking the warning light bulb out of the dash seems more like The Way Of A Reasonable Man. <g>
Isn't it frustrating to see that you could, if you wanted to, replace the entire damn system with one that has more functions for a FRACTION of that price?

http://www.amazon.com/ORO-Technology...HMRHN84JS8YVCV

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
Poodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud of
Wow! Was my system like that originally ?

2007 base w/2.7

Did my factory TPMS system have a display like that in the mirror?

I have a cap on my truck bed and the white lines on the road some how reflected around between the rear window on the cab and the rearview mirror in some way which made me crazy distracted so I took the inside mirror off long ago. I doubt I could even find it now

Did the factory TPMS system have a rearview mirror display? Like the one you posted a link to has? Or is that aftermarket TPMS both cheaper And better? <g>

PHM
------

Quote:
Isn't it frustrating to see that you could, if you wanted to, replace the entire damn system with one that has more functions for a FRACTION of that price?

http://www.amazon.com/ORO-Technology...HMRHN84JS8YVCV

Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
2007 base w/2.7

Did my factory TPMS system have a display like that in the mirror?

I have a cap on my truck bed and the white lines on the road some how reflected around between the rear window on the cab and the rearview mirror in some way which made me crazy distracted so I took the inside mirror off long ago. I doubt I could even find it now

Did the factory TPMS system have a rearview mirror display? Like the one you posted a link to has? Or is that aftermarket TPMS both cheaper And better? <g>

PHM
------
Yeah, that's my point. You could rip the whole factory setup out and replace it with a BETTER system (most show actual tire PSI, per tire and some show tire temperature too) for what it would cost to have the dealer replace ONE sensor!

So with that in mind, why the hell is it so damn expensive for the dealer to fix this shit?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
I would blame the TM shareholders

Those darned TM shareholders keep demanding profits. <g>

"(TM) operating profits during the quarter were stronger than expected. This allowed share net to come in $0.85 above our projection, at $3.15.
2013 consolidated vehicle sales forecast of 9.1 million units - but this ought to be fully offset by lower sales in overseas markets. Nevertheless, management raised its earnings forecast for the year. As a result, we have raised our fiscal 2013 bottom-line forecast by $0.85 per share, to $12.60.
Shares of Toyota are ranked to out-perform the broader market averages in the coming 6 to 12 months. Solid demand trends in most regions, along with the aforementioned benefits to the bottom line, ought to allow for near record earnings for the year. Over the 3 to 5 year period, Toyota shares offer wide appreciation potential at the recent quotation . . . . "

And the service department plays a big part in achieving the goal apparently. <g>

PHM
------

Quote:
Yeah, that's my point. You could rip the whole factory setup out and replace it with a BETTER system (most show actual tire PSI, per tire and some show tire temperature too) for what it would cost to have the dealer replace ONE sensor!

So with that in mind, why the hell is it so damn expensive for the dealer to fix this shit?

Products Discussed in this Thread