Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Rebuilding an Empire
Moving Chicane is on a distinguished road
Moving Chicane's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow 16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)

The new wheels just arrived this afternoon, and before I get the rubber on and them mounted up, I was wondering if anyone had guidance on whether or not to mount the chrome ring BEFORE or AFTER the rubber goes on....and why that preference?

I ask because I'm sort of digging them without the chrome ring and thought to try without first, and then I could always put the ring on later if I wanted too. I just don't want have to remove the rubber to do so properly (which I don't think is required). So........answers?

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-trdwheels.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
sch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant future

sch0enne's Tacoma Gallery
I say without! IMO i think it looks cleaner without. But good choice they look great!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
dig....either way
Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Rebuilding an Empire
FYI that Toyota's internal documents say mount the tire on the wheel before installing the "wheel lock ring" and before balancing.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
what did those run and where did you get them
Attached Thumbnails
16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-dsc00272.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
DAMN them wheels are sexy? where did you get them?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Rebuilding an Empire
Ordered from PARTS of TOYOTA OF DALLAS (trdparts4u.com); part # PTR18-35090. Ordered the 4 wheels Sunday along with the bolt/lock kit needed (~$125) and it all arrived on Friday - great process.

I'm out of town right now, but pictures of the truck with wheels should be up this weekend.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
i have all black wheels also and wish they had just a little silver around the edge... i think that will look awesome on your truck with the rings. .
Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Black looks good, I have the bronze TRD wheels and put the rings on after I had the tires mounted they will balance either way (I have since mounted one with the ring in place) I would mount them after as to not leave any marks/damage on the ring.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Rebuilding an Empire
After what feels like weeks of delay, the new tires (Yoko Geolander ATS) were mounted on the TRD wheels, and it was all installed on the new 2011 TRD! And here it is!!!

Original tire pressure sensors went on the new wheels, then the tires were mounted and balanced. Then we installed them on the truck, put chrome valve stem caps on, installed the silver wheel rings, and finally pop'd on the center-caps. Not exactly Toyota documentation "standard," but it seems to have worked just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-strdworing.jpg   16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-strdwring.jpg   16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-srside.jpg   16" TRD Black Offroad "Beadlock-look" Wheels (Delivery Pic & Q)-sside.jpg  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
take the silver off. ruins the look.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Some black anodized bolts for the polished plate would set it off IMO. Looks great either way though
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty cool.

Don't really like 'em with the center cap..too much silver. Personally I like them without the beadlock, but if I was to keep the beadlock, I'd lose the center cap.

Nice truck !
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So if I'm understanding correctly you got "non-functional" beadlocks? I didn't know such a thing existed.
I say run the combo you like best.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Rebuilding an Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_tacoma View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly you got "non-functional" beadlocks? I didn't know such a thing existed.
I say run the combo you like best.
I'm not sure why anyone calls them "beadlock" anyway, it's a decorational chrome trim ring. Period.

With the chrome front grill and chrome rear bumper on the truck, I think the wheel ring and center cap works; but if I go black front grill then the chrome ring will come off and I'll paint (black) all the little mounting holes which are silver (underneath the ring). We'll see.

Thanks for all the comments thus far; seems to be an increasing amount of these out there now, but I wanted everyone interested to have/see the "facts."
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Rebuilding an Empire
Also, in response to some PM's I've received: you MUST use a different set of lugs (cannot use the stockers) as the stock units (6 per wheel) are too shallow.

The Toyota kit with the proper set includes a socket for the new lugs as well as the included lug locks, and ran about $125.

You CAN use the stock spare tire with the new lugs (no need to save a few of the original/old/stock ones in case you mount the spare).

Hope this helps someone!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
I'm not sure why anyone calls them "beadlock" anyway, it's a decorational chrome trim ring. Period.

With the chrome front grill and chrome rear bumper, I think the wheel ring and center cap worls; but if I go black front grill then the chrome ring will come off and I'll paint (black) all the little mounting holes which are silver (underneath the ring). We'll see.

Thanks for all the comments thus far; seems to be an increasing amount of these out there now, but I wanted everyone interested to have/see the "facts."
You are aware of the purpose of true beadlocks correct?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
Rebuilding an Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_tacoma View Post
You are aware of the purpose of true beadlocks correct?
Yes; and if I wanted those I would have bought "real" offroad wheels (and tires suited for the purpose as well). But for my 165K of daily driving, these are great!