1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyo Tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NC15TRD, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    [​IMG]Does anyone have any input on the Toyo Open Country AT tires?

2. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've had 2 sets of them, I've actually got a picture of one of mine in this section titled "are my tires dead". They've held up great, the first set had 45,000 on them before I replaced them with the same, this current set is about 4 years old and has about 50,000 on them. Lately they've started getting slippery in the rain, I think it's mainly age and they've gotten a little hard over the years, but they've been really good. You don't see many reviews about them, and they definitely aren't a favorite on this forum at least (mainly Michelin AT2's and Nitto's, but Nitto and Toyo are almost the same tire) but they aren't loud, good in snow, good in rain, good dry, and good for the little bit of offroading I've done. I'm not replacing them with the same this time around because my driving has become mainly interstate commuting, so I need a set of road tires, but if you're looking for AT's these should be in your top 5.

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Well I thank you for that bit of info. I really like the looks of them and I'm getting new wheels and tires in the spring and was trying to decide between those and the Cooper Discoverer ATR.

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    On my 2005 DC 4WD Taco, I had the both the Toyo Open Country A/T and the Cooper Discoverer ATR and would rate them BOTH as very good truck tires... Quiet on the highway, good desert and sand off roading, min. 35,000 miles for both (I don't like driving on bald tires, so you may get 40,000 out of them).

AirbagTest008_ca035f3af3788da601b0efb091c36b620abf282c.jpg

On a sand dune near Ocotillo Wells (good floatation, fully inflated).

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Blueskyychic

Blueskyychic Southern Girl in a Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaclyn
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    OEM Brush Guard, OEM Stowable Roof Rails
    Have you decided on tires/wheels yet? I've been reading up on the subject in preparation for a spring purchase as well. While I would love to go with the super aggressive look, I know that heavy M/T tires would be overkill for my driving.

My local guy is pushing the Toyo Open Country A/T, and there are a few people riding them around here that really like them. But I think I'm leaning toward the Kumho SAT KL61 - have you looked at them?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+SAT+KL61

[​IMG]

They actually have better tread ratings than the Toyo and get good reviews....

I'll be interested to know what you decide to go with - I think we are looking for the same type of setup.

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have them i only have like 7000 miles on them so i cant really say how long they'll last but supposedly a long time haha, offroad they are alright, nothing to brag about cuz i mean they aree ATs but on the road i cant hear them which is the best part :D

7. Jan 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    I had the Toyo AT's before my Duratracs and I will never own then again... They were good in mud, great in snow, ok in ice, pathetic in the rain, never had them in sand. Being in Oregon when it rains damn near year round, they couldn't get it done for me! GL

Products Discussed in

To Top