1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BF Goodrich Load Range E PSI ?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OffroadToy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've been searching but having trouble. I just ditched the stock Rugged Trails today and went with the Bf Goodrich AT in 265/75/16 load range E. What tire pressure are you guys running with this tire? The shop took them up to 36 psi...does that sound about right?

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn, I'll bet that thing rides rough! 36 sounds high, especially with such a light truck. It's probably what is recommended in the tire but keep in mind a load range E tire is made for heavy trucks and heavy cargo (or extra plys for off roading). Depending on what you consistantly tow/haul, I'd drop it down to around 30 or under.

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    30 isn't near enough in a 10ply tire.Way overkill on this light truck.My F250 came stock with 265/75/16E with 45 in the front and 70 in the rear.Running them too low is gonna cause premature wear.

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's only partially true. If you run 45 psi on a truck this light, it'll rattle your teeth out with every bump in the road. Your old F250 outweighs these Tacoma's by a very significant amount, especially if it was a diesel. My old man is running E's on his 2500 now with similar PSI as you. The Tacomas don't have enough weight to squat the tires to make them wear evenly at normal PSI and pumping them up that much will cause the centers to wear out faster. You are correct though, load range E is ridiculous on these trucks unless you're worried about something puncturing the sidewall.

Edit: Do the chaulk test with your truck normally loaded to find the sweet spot for the tires. You draw a chaulk line across the tread of the tire (left to right) and drive for a few miles. You'll see where the caulk is wearing off and can adjust the tire pressure accordingly. (If the center is worn and the sides aren't, let some air out, etc).

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    i run 35psi on my KM2s in 285-75-16 on street and they run great... off road i drop them down to 20psi...

in 265s i would try 30psi and go from there...

6. Oct 22, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    After reading some say they like these tires and others not I was a little hesitant on getting them but since that size BF Goodrich A/T only comes in the E rateing I went for it. So far the ride seems great to me. The reason I asked about the psi was because I haven't experianced the bone jarring ride that I've read about here with the 10 ply tires. Personally I like the ride to be rough in a truck...after experianceing the mushy ride from the Rugged Fails these seem to be alot more stable. I plan on doing the chalk test to see if I can take them up a few more psi's.
    On a side note I read here when going up from the D rateing to the E you lose the winter traction rateing (something about the rubber being harder) but that's not the case...

7. Oct 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Something I was warned about with high load range tires is the compound wearing out and getting 'hard' before the tire tread wears down. Apparently the tire will start losing grip on wet or snowy roads after 40-50,000 miles even though there could be plenty of tread left. The rubber compound becomes hard with age and doesn't wear down completely but the tire will still need to be replaced. I haven't experienced this personally but figured I'd pass it along if there is any truth to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top