Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheel studs are too short! What to do....

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
REDFORD is on a distinguished road
Name: Red
REDFORD's Tacoma Gallery
I did the doorman/matrix studs and they are working great.been on the truck for a few years now.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
itsyaboy607 is on a distinguished road
itsyaboy607's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=KPT;2311974]
So you bought a new set of wheels, or some wheel spacers, and now there isn't enough thread for the lug nuts to safely grab on to. I went through this same thing when I got my new wheels. I did quite a bit of research on the subject and wanted to share what I found.

You basically have two options:
1. Extended-thread lug nuts
2. Longer wheel studs

1. Extended Thread (E/T) Lug nuts

This is the less time consuming option, but only gets you a few more threads worth to grab on to. That's all I needed so this is the option I ended up going with.

Extended-thread lug nuts look just like regular conical seat lugs, but have an extra shank below the seat that fits INSIDE the bolt holes on your rims. This effectively gives the lug nut an extra 0.30" of bite on the stud.

The E/T lug nuts I ended up going with were Gorilla Brand,
12x1.5" threads.

These are the "standard length" conical seat E/T lug nuts. Gorilla Part #68138

You can also get extended thread wheel locks from Gorilla, Part #68631N

I just upgraded my wheels from stock steelies to the xd revolvers. I had a few people tell me that I need to buy new lugs to go with the new wheels, I wasnt aware of this. I thought the studs looked a little short tho. I would like to get some extended thread lugs to be safe. Would the gorilla ones you mentioned work on my 06 taco with revolvers? Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
If I were to add these 1/2 inch spacers:http://www.ezaccessory.com/5_6_Lug_Spacer_p/603xl.htm should I get E/T lug nuts or longer studs? If I got the longer studs could I reuse the factory lug nuts?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #24
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
If I were to add these 1/2 inch spacers:http://www.ezaccessory.com/5_6_Lug_Spacer_p/603xl.htm should I get E/T lug nuts or longer studs? If I got the longer studs could I reuse the factory lug nuts?
Yes, you should get either E/T lugs or longer studs, your choice really. You could re-use the factory lugs if you went with longer studs.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yes, you should get either E/T lugs or longer studs, your choice really. You could re-use the factory lugs if you went with longer studs.
My thinking is that the longer studs would be better, I don't know why and have no knowledge of why they would be, just a gut feeling. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #26
juan01 is on a distinguished road

juan01's Tacoma Gallery
Would this be considered an E/T?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-MUTEKI-S...item4cfa830520
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan01 View Post
No it is not. It is longer than stock, but does not have a shank which would actually allow it to grab more thread.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #28
juan01 is on a distinguished road

juan01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
No it is not. It is longer than stock, but does not have a shank which would actually allow it to grab more thread.
Thanks for the quick reply.

How about the BLACK CHROME E/T listed on here:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomablackalloys.htm

Is that the right one?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #29
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan01 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

How about the BLACK CHROME E/T listed on here:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomablackalloys.htm

Is that the right one?
Yep, those would get the job done.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Would everyone be interested in Longer Heavy Duty ARP Wheel Studs? Looking into offering Wheel Stud Replacement kits.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #34
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Would everyone be interested in Longer Heavy Duty ARP Wheel Studs? Looking into offering Wheel Stud Replacement kits.
as long as they'd still work with the ET lugs I'm waiting on you to send lol
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
It would be nice to see these in a 6 pack! At least that way I could replace one wheel at a time...

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-77...oductId=747558

But to answer your question, YES.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
For those wondering how much you gain with the extended thread lugs from Wheeler's, I went from 4.5 revolutions with the original lug nuts I had, to 9.75 revolutions with the gorilla ones.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
For those wondering how much you gain with the extended thread lugs from Wheeler's, I went from 4.5 revolutions with the original lug nuts I had, to 9.75 revolutions with the gorilla ones.
Great info, thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #38
Steve W is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Steve W's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this information. I'm ordering the Gorilla Lugs.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #39
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
???---- Want to upgrade to better and longer studs then stock,, but keep my stock TRD sport rims & lugs. What is longest I can go without changing out anything but the studs??? I read the whole thread but am still lost... Thanks for your time.. Jim
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
???---- Want to upgrade to better and longer studs then stock,, but keep my stock TRD sport rims & lugs. What is longest I can go without changing out anything but the studs??? I read the whole thread but am still lost... Thanks for your time.. Jim
If you get longer studs are the stock lugs deep enough to hold down the rims? How much loneger are the aftermarket studs than the stock ones? I don't know the answer to these questions, but things you may want to consider.