1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oversized spare tires....

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SAIRS, Oct 24, 2010.

?

did you change out your spare tire when you upgraded your wheels and tires?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2010.
  1. I got a matching wheel and tire for my upgraded wheels and tires and did the mod found in post #1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I got a matching wheel and tire for my upgraded wheels and tires, no mod

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. I upgraded my tire size on the spare, but not the rim

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I left the spare rim and tire the same

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  5. Dude, the chick has no clue what shes talkin about

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    So a girl I work with has done up her Jeep Wrangler and she says that when you do larger tires on any truck / SUV you need to have the same size tire for a spare. now obviously if your doing 35 - 37 inch tires and your spare is less than 32 inches, that may make driving weird for a short period of time to a tireshop. She said you'd screw your tranny and differential up. I dont have experience in this area but I thought of the dorky donut spare that comes with most cars, but they dont seem to have issues. Is trucks and suv's different in this are or is she smokin crack?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods-6.html#post47335

came across the above mod for carrying the spare tire in the factory location on the second gen.

I didnt have any luck searching about this so let me ask everyone, for those that have less than 33 inch tires on their truck, did you do get a 5th tire and wheel for your spare to be mounted underneath the bed? I am looking at 285/65/18 tires on a 18x9 set of monsters.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    I have always believed that this is true, the closer the spare is to the size of the main tires, the better...

When I had my Subaru, I destroyed a tire on a Saturday afternoon, on a Holiday weekend.. I drove over 500 miles on the donut before I could get a new full size... afterwards, everything seemed fine, but it sounded BAD (and felt funny when shifting (manual trans.)) after the first 100 miles on the spare... Thankfully, that went away when I got a replacement tire... and even more thankfully, I have a Taco now...

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....

So did you do an upgraded spare then? what tire size are you running?

advrider963 likes this.
  4. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Not sure if its bad, But I got a matching spare for my truck, Well got 2 for when I go out to the desert.

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    SAIRS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:

Thats basically what I am trying to decide when I get my wheels and tires. do I go for a set of 4 or a set of 5 with the 5th being the spare. but you have 6 rims and tires that match?

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I have a 33" mounted in my bed. That girl isnt completely wrong.

7. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Get a matching spare.

8. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Nope I went with cheap steel wheels for my spares, I don't need the spare to be fancy, just something that works.

9. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    running diff. size tires can screw up your gears..if you ever have to do it make sure the diff. size tire goes on the front only and do not engage the 4 wheel drive while it is on and get it fixed asap......

10. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I've heard that for a little difference you should be fine and that the problem lies within the diff and it's a ton more wear on the diff if it's spinning two different sized tires. One solution could be to run the spare on the front and run it in 2 wheel drive.

11. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I did't change rim size- but I did upgrade tire size. And I bought a cheap tire from a used tire place near here to replace the spare.
    Why not have a matching set?? Do you really wanna try to drive out of a trail or camp site off camber?? I don't.

12. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have a matching spare that i use in rotations, but i dont have anywhere to mount it.

13. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    x2

also, many cars with the donut spare specify in the manual to install the spare on a non drive wheel. (if fwd and blow a front tire put one of the backs on the front and put the donut in the rear)

your spider gears will thank you...

if you have lsd it will fry your clutch pack...

14. Oct 24, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I went to 285/70R17 for my main tires and that size wouldn't fit in the spare location.

The spare tire mount area has changed a bit since the spare tire resize mod was originally posted and now that mod doesn't seem to work the same way on the newer 2nd gens. I admit I didn't research this too heavily.

So rather than run a tailgate or bed mounted spare, I fitted a 265/75R16 spare onto the stock spare rim. Yes that's 1" smaller than my regular tires. On highway, I can mount the spare on the front, or just use it "space saver" style at lower speed for short distance on the back.

Off road, I'll be glad to have a tough durable spare of the same type as my regular tires, even if it is a 1" smaller diameter, and the low speeds of off-road driving I'm expecting it won't work the diff too hard before I get back to civilization.

15. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I'm only running 31" tires. Plus, this is a first gen so no modding needed to mount it. I did get a 5th alloy rim for the spare, and the spare is an exact match with the rest of the tires. I use it in a 5 tire rotation.

16. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I heard running a spare that is smaller than what you are currently running can destroy your spider gear in your diff. You may never know how far you gotta drive on that spare so its always good to get a size matching spare.

17. Nov 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you are correct sir.....

18. Nov 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    You can run 2 different size tires on the same axle only if the diff is open. If there is a locker or limited slip diff, you'll need to make sure to run equal height tires since if one was smaller than the other it would be turning at a different rate making the diff think traction was being lost. This could prematurely wear out the internals or damage it.

Captured 2004-6-7 00002.jpg

19. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Nick_Taco

Nick_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR 4x4 Auto
    is there anyway to fit a 33" tire under a 1st gen in the stock area?

can you cut the tabs just like a 2nd gen?

20. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    yes.

Products Discussed in

To Top