Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS question

i bought new rims and tires for my 08. can i just swap them out with the stock ones and not worry about the tpms? will anything happen besides maybe the light staying on in the dash?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma08MZ View Post
i bought new rims and tires for my 08. can i just swap them out with the stock ones and not worry about the tpms? will anything happen besides maybe the light staying on in the dash?
that all depends on the type of rim and if it will accept the sensor or not. you can always get around putting the tpms sensors back in though!!!! and yeah, if you dont do a mod to keep them aired up......the light will stay on, thats all.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
yeah like tacoma man said see if they can put them in your new rims i have the sensors in my mojave's before my light was on for 9months no problems
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
ditto....if not, all that'll happen is the light stays on...thats it
Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and if the light bugs you do the black tape mod put a piece of electrical over the light lol
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha yep i did that on the check engine light on the vw i had right before i traded it in. thanks for the replys
Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com

No worries man i was in your shoes not to long ago.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Wife thinks I am done Modding truck
Imrubicon is on a distinguished road

Army: Crash rescue\Medivac
Imrubicon's Tacoma Gallery
Why couldnt you just put them in your glove box and push the button to set them at 0 ???????????????
Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrubicon View Post
Why couldnt you just put them in your glove box and push the button to set them at 0 ???????????????
because the sensor reads air pressure that is contained. there is a mod involving pcv piping and some caps, and you keep the sensors in there and it seems to work pretty good. it has a tire stem valve on it too, for adding air to it.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrubicon View Post
That's my thought. Don't plan on other rims just yet but figured you could just reset to 0 psi?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Like most subjects on this forum this there is a ton of information on this. If you want more information type in TPMS in the search and go from there.

That being said I have done a ton of research on this, including contacting the manufacturer of the TPMS.

There are two types of TPMS that are found on the Tacoma and they are based on the type of rim that you have. Either Aluminum or stock steel wheels. They will work on one another but you will have problems with them down the road. The steel ones will work on most custom steel rims but alot depends on the angle of the valve stem replacement on the rim, the same with the aluminum ones.

Here on the fixes for the TPMS that I have discovered so far.

Black electrical tape MOD.

Tacoma World Business card MOD. (Thanks Neontrail)

Removing the ECU. Not advisable on anything other then an 06 when it was a subsystem of the main ECU, it became an integrated system in 07.

Pipe Bomb or putting the TPMS in some sort of pressurized container and locating on the vehicle. Thus creating another thing that you have rolling around in the inside of your truck.

Changing the angle of the TPMS on the rim. OK if you dont plan on getting a flat, if you break it they are $175 a piece from the dealer. You can find them occasionally in the WTS/WTB section.

I found a site that sales a strap that locates the TPMS in the center of the rim. It is essentially a really large hose clamp with a mount on it. It works really well and I have had no problems with it. I am in no way connected with this site.
http://www.tpmssource.com/strapkit.aspx

If you would like any more information I would be willing to help you out.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I am an idiot, but how would I know if I have TPMS in my sport wheels. I do now that the guy I bought the truck from did something to disable the light so it never comes on. I also know that the wheels have had different tires on them so they could have been removed I guess. So I am wanting to know if there is anything visible that would tell me.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Ok I am an idiot, but how would I know if I have TPMS in my sport wheels. I do now that the guy I bought the truck from did something to disable the light so it never comes on. I also know that the wheels have had different tires on them so they could have been removed I guess. So I am wanting to know if there is anything visible that would tell me.
metal valve stem=TPMS rubber=regular
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Bobcat, your truck came with tpms. The previous owner shouldn't have removed them just to put on new tires. You can look at your valve stem. If it looks like a light gray metal stem then you still have the sensors. If it's black and rubber then you don't.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Tebow Apologist
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #16
Rexio_Mty is on a distinguished road
Rexio_Mty's Tacoma Gallery
Guys,

when you replace the sensor Tpms ON a new tire, if this needs to be program according the rest of them??
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexio_Mty View Post
Guys,

when you replace the sensor Tpms ON a new tire, if this needs to be program according the rest of them??
if u introduce a new sensor to the system, the dealer has to program that sensor into the computer to look for the signal from that specific sensor. just swapping tires or rims and using the same sensors, no