Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Spare Tire Carrier

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Spare Tire Carrier

Need to pick some of your brains for an idea or source for a spare tire carrier.
Yes... I did read the Tacoma Mods and really am not interested in doing it that way.
I am looking for something to mount in the bed of the truck and carry the spare full size wheel/tire.
Now for the bad issue......I have an Undercover cover on the back, and would like to keep it on. The only time I would need to remove the tire (except for flat) is during hunting season, since most of the time I have critters in the back.
But the tire would be at the camp, so an easy take out and put back in.
Let me know what you all come up with, would even do the mod. myself, but with work now it is hard to get my brain on other issues.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
StompinStu is on a distinguished road

StompinStu's Tacoma Gallery
Do like Jeepers do when they need a heavy duty tire hanger for oversized tires....get something that is swing-away and incorporated into the rear bumper.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Not too many options out there unfortunately. You either get a swing gate (which requires a new after market bumper), or some sort of frame in the bed.

For the frame in the bed you'd need to fab up something to distribute the weight enough to not punch through the composite bed and use the bed bolts. Or you could cut through the bed to weld the holder to the frame rails. Check out MJP2's truck. He did a bed cage and incorporated a tire holder into that.

Edit:
Actually, I just found this: http://www.tiregate.com/availability.shtml

google search: tacoma tiregate