Notices

TPMS question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
ARKTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
ARKTaco's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS question

I will be upgrading my tires and wheels soon and was wondering what most guys do about the tpms? Do you purchase new ones or remove them from the stock wheel? Is there a way to just deactivate the sensors or if you buy new ones where do you buy them? thanks
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Welcome to the forum
Not sure if you have stock alloys or stock steel rims...
The stock alloy sensors move over to most aftermarket rims without issue. The tire installer can handle that.
The steel rims use a different angled sensor (40 vs 20 or visa versa i cannot remember),
its been said tire installers can turn them 180 degrees or others use a band kit inside the rim.
Either way, the sensors that came with your truck have ids on them which are programmed into your truck's tpms ecu. It only holds 5 codes at a time.
If you choose to buy new sensors, those codes need to get programmed into the ecu to work. $$ or you can buy a tool from tire rack and do it yourself $
Others fool the system by taking their sensors, putting them in a wheelbarrow tire or pipe bomb and pressured it up.
Other use a penny's worth of black tape and cover the idiot light blinking on the dash.
Some take out the bulb.
There are other mods too.

sooooo whew....there is a lot of info covered here and if you search tpms you will get a ton of threads...outlining just what I typed.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Judy covered what you need to know...just wanted to add that if the new rims you get were made more than a few years ago (for example I bought BBS's from 2004 on craigslist), they were not designed to accommodate TPMS and the tire shop may have difficulty fitting them. Discount tire had to use TPMS straps to fit mine. I've had no issues with them though.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Hi Welcome to the forum
The stock alloy sensors move over to most aftermarket rims without issue.
yup. the stock tpms sensors worked on my moto metal rims.