LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheel spacer are bad?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacer are bad?

I got my stock tires replaced with Bridgestone Revo's on my Prerunner. I just went tall with the 75 series.

This was done at Firestone tire. They said they didn't reccommend wheel spacers as they felt that they would be detrimental to the car handling and suspension.

I then went to America's Tire and Just Tires and they said they could put them on, but also didn't recommend them.

Is there something that may be bad about spacers?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Taken from a Jeep forum I frequent, but the info is still true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe View Post
... and, from what I've read here (and it makes sense), as long as you get the kind that bolt to your axle, then utilize new studs to bolt the wheel to the spacer.

GOOD

DO NOT...

I REPEAT...

DO NOT use the kind that simple occupy space between your wheel and the mounting surface. That's the kind of spacer that can be (potentially) dangerous.

BAD

Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Who makes those blue ones, and how much>

cliff
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
nice... now it is on the mod list...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, that will probably be my next purchase. So they come in two's not four's huh.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
06tacoma is on a distinguished road

06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
yeh i have a set on my truck they are pretty nice but kinda suckes after u just clean the truck you get stuff everywhere
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Marlin Crawler has a nice set too

1.25" $79
1.5" $89
2.0" $99
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So the info that I get, even if they are high quality spacers is that it's definitely a bad thing in the sense that it brings the tire and wheel away from the bearing centerline, as it was designed to be, and thus wears those suspension pieces more readily.

Looks and ego be damned, this has got to be a no go for me. Every tire and wheel place that I have gone to says they can do it, but reccommend against it.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So, the only other way to get the tires to be flush or stick out from the wheel wells is to play with new wheels and backspacing correct?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
caliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the roughcaliKxracer is a jewel in the rough

Name: kyle
caliKxracer's Tacoma Gallery
or long travel kits, pushes your tires out ALOT (tc kit pushes front out atleast 4inches on 05s+)
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Chuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud ofChuy has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement: ICE - San Diego Field Office
Chuy's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from http://www.ichibausa.com/tacomatundra.html . They are hub centric and made specifically for the Tacos/Tundras. The link is the manufacture's; I got mine for about $100 from a racing shop. I forgot which one I used but Google it and you should find them for less than $145.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I got mine from http://www.ichibausa.com/tacomatundra.html . They are hub centric and made specifically for the Tacos/Tundras. The link is the manufacture's; I got mine for about $100 from a racing shop. I forgot which one I used but Google it and you should find them for less than $145.

Hey, thank you. These only bring it out about and inch. I'm more comfortable with that instead of the 2 and 3 inchel spacers that I see.

I'm doin' it.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Hey, thank you. These only bring it out about and inch. I'm more comfortable with that instead of the 2 and 3 inchel spacers that I see.

I'm doin' it.
I recently installed SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers front and rear and can highly recommend them.

I previously had Datin wheel spacers that I bought from E-bay. These weren't hub centric as I learned from reading posts here and I started experiencing a slight vibration at 70 mph after I had tham on the truck for a few weeks.

With the new ones, they are an exact fit. No slop. Hub centric vs. lug centric.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, at 1 - 1.25" it really isnt gonna cause any damage. Im gonna go ahead and pick me up a hubcentric set. Hmmm i wonder if i will keep on my current Hubcentric rings i have or will it just eliminate them. Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
Yeah, at 1 - 1.25" it really isnt gonna cause any damage. Im gonna go ahead and pick me up a hubcentric set. Hmmm i wonder if i will keep on my current Hubcentric rings i have or will it just eliminate them. Any ideas?

If the bore on your rim isn't hubcentric or a different diameter than stock, then you'll need to leave the hubcentric rings on between the rim and the wheel spacer. The SpiderTrax wheel spacer is an exact OEM fit to the stock rim and stock hub. Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Banned
YoYo_32757 will become famous soon enough
YoYo_32757's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got my stock tires replaced with Bridgestone Revo's on my Prerunner. I just went tall with the 75 series.

This was done at Firestone tire. They said they didn't reccommend wheel spacers as they felt that they would be detrimental to the car handling and suspension.

I then went to America's Tire and Just Tires and they said they could put them on, but also didn't recommend them.

Is there something that may be bad about spacers?
The only thing wrong I can see with these, is they are metal. So when your brakes and wheels heat up...so will these. And as those cool...so will these. You may get some abnormal tire wear....just keep an eye on that.
Of course...that's just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #18
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Ichiba Spacer a good brand that is hub centric as well? Doesn't say on the site.....

http://www.ichibausa.com/25alwhsp8.html

If I install the spacers, how much do I torque them down to for the spacer torque and the wheel torque?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the Ichiba Spacer a good brand that is hub centric as well? Doesn't say on the site.....

http://www.ichibausa.com/25alwhsp8.html

If I install the spacers, how much do I torque them down to for the spacer torque and the wheel torque?

yes it does...in the description it lists them as hubcentric...

however...they seem a tad expensive compared to the marlin crawler and spidertrax spacers that were previously linked...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You would have to ask the manufacture. I would guess somewhere around 90#'s