1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble with painted grill....

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by skb7527, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    skb7527

skb7527 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    I just finished painting my factory chrome/black factory grill on my 08 tacoma. I researched it here and found numerous ways of doing it. I decided to use rustoleum bed liner, spray can. Of course I sanded it, then primed it with plastic primer, then it was sprayed with the bed liner spray. It seamed to crack, probably due to over spraying. I worked on that and waited for it to try and cure then I reinstalled it. On the way home from work it was chipped in numerous spots....What do you guys think? Did I use the wrong paint or should I put a coat of black spray paint to seal it? :confused:

2. Nov 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    skb7527

skb7527 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    No I just scuffed it up really good. Sorry about the post in the wrong spot. Just joined last week and it took me a while to figure out how to post and after I did I realized it was in the wrong section, crap....would it be better to resand it and then paint it? It's sticking to the black plastic, but not so well to the chrome...

3. Nov 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    You made two mistakes. First is most bedliner sprays do NOT adhere well to any plastics. They are great on any metal, bare metal or aluminum. Second as already mentioned you don't use primer when painting ANY kind of plastic, you use adhesion promoter in its place.

Products Discussed in

To Top