1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

With 96 inches of snow expected this season...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by slmgt, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Are better tires than stock Dunlop AT20s needed?

I've asked about tires before, but this time I wanted to put it into context.

I plan on getting chains, but have not decided which chain/cable to get (suggestions accepted)

265/65/R17, got 4 60lb sandbags in back.

2. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Good thread I need to give advice to somebody about snow tires and I know nothing.

BUMP

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes , the Dunlops suck in the snow . The shallow tread packs with snow and you are now on slicks .

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    How about the Firestone Destination A/Ts. I really want those tires, but it's hard for me to separate with ~$800 installed when I've already separated with so much for the truck:cool:

5. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  6. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    With snow tires there is a fine line between tread width too much and too little. In the winter you want to have as much rubber on the ground as you can generally. Too wide and you just aren't getting the coverage. Too narrow, as stated before, will fill the gaps with snow and I've turning them into essentially slicks.

7. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    In Colorado the snow is low water content. I've run BFG AT/KOs for the last 8 years on my trucks with great results. In a wetter snow they may clog up more tho.

8. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That's the problem here on the coast , the snow is usually heavy and wet .

9. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
  10. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Growing up in snow country for 15 yrs is a good experience but Im not around it much any more. But I can give ya a few pointers on what I learned over the few years from myself and my grandfather who used to plow snow for the state for over 50 years in Nor Cal.
    First thing is you half to decide if your going to be mainly on packed road snow or fresh stuff in the mountains as in offroading. And also how deep of snow your going to be in overall.
    Packed road snow you want to stay with a A/T tire that is either factory siped or done by a tire shop like Les Schwab. This will allow you to grip the packed snow better. A bigger Lug tire like a mud terrain will get less traction on packed road snow.
    Now if your doing more fresh snow like powder and offroading cutting trails a good M/T is good for this as it grabs thru the snow better and is self cleaning for dirt and rocks. Also if the snow is heavy and wet the M/T works well. But if Like some A/T that are more on the bigger lug these will work as well. I have seen a cooper tire up here in NorCal that is called an A/T and it favors more of an M/T pattern.
    For A narrow tire compared to a wider tire is another decision. Wider is not the best on packed road snow on our lighter trucks. This comes in to play with trying to get a grip and breaking thru the packed snow as to where a narrow tire will do better.
    Now offroading a wider tire isnt to bad with a M/T I have used both on small pickups and bigger pickups. But Again the narrow tire for me has still worked better as it cuts thru the snow down to the dirt where your traction is at.
    Tire chains are a very good idea as they get you the best traction over any tire you have but your just limited to your speed,location, and if you end up driving on pavement more it is real noisy. Why I say location is in some states you can not run them. But for Oregon and Cali and Nevada you can. I carry them all the time as they work well for offraoding in the mud and for the snow. I run the Heavy duty ones though which are like 3/16 thick for the cross links.
    One more thing, you want to try and not spin your tires as this will heat them up and make things worse. As this will make your tires melt the snow and make them loose traction.

Good Luck

11. Nov 13, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    damb nice wright up.very well put.:thumbsup:

12. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    It seems to me without going with a all out snow tire, duratracs should be about your best choice. With the 2 sipes per tread block, I think they will do great. Sipes are the most important thing with choosing a tire to use in the snow. Strait sipes work ok but having sipes in a zig zag pattern is the best exspecially on ice. /\/\/\/\/\
    I run blizzak ws60 on my AWD galant and it goes through any kinda snow/ice with ease. The only thing that stopped me last year was the ride height. I figured when snow was starting to come over the hood, it was time to go in. This year, I have a taco on duratracs so I should be just fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top