Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rear wheel spin

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Cdn98TacomaSR5 is on a distinguished road
Cdn98TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Rear wheel spin

I've got a 98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with BF Goodrich All Terrains. The engine is the 4 cylinder model with an automatic transmission. Even though the truck is underpowered I experience terrible wheel spin on the rears whenever the ashphalt is wet (which in Vancouver is almost all the time). On a flat surface the rear wheels will spin far too easily, even with gentle application of the gas. I have tried varying the air pressure between 30-50psi but it makes no difference. The previous owner installed beefed up rear springs and the truck has a bit of a nose down, rear up stance now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know why this vehicle is spinning the rear wheels so easily and how to rectify this?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried lowering the pressure even lower than 30. Not sure about the 98 models, but check your door jamb for the recomended tire pressure. Also, you might think about adding some weight to the rear of your truck. Trucks have bad traction on the slippery stuff when they are unloaded.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Rear wheel spin

I've got a 98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with BF Goodrich All Terrains. The engine is the 4 cylinder model with an automatic transmission. Even though the truck is underpowered I experience terrible wheel spin on the rears whenever the ashphalt is wet (which in Vancouver is almost all the time). On a flat surface the rear wheels will spin far too easily, even with gentle application of the gas. I have tried varying the air pressure between 30-50psi but it makes no difference. The previous owner installed beefed up rear springs and the truck has a bit of a nose down, rear up stance now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know why this vehicle is spinning the rear wheels so easily and how to rectify this?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Post a couple pics (of the truck and rear suspension). Are you sure he installed a new leaf pack or did he go with an AAL or block. What your describing sounds like axle wrap.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
picture of leaf springs

This is the picture of my leaf springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear wheel spin-100_0098.jpg  
Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
WHat is up with that over load?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn98TacomaSR5 View Post
I've got a 98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with BF Goodrich Al Terrains. The engine is the 4 cylinder model with an automatic transmission. Even though the truck is underpowered I experience terrible wheel spin on the rears whenever the ashphalt is wet (which in Vancouver is almost all the time). On a flat surface the rear wheels will spin far too easily, even with gentle application of the gas. I have tried varying the air pressure between 30-50psi but it makes no difference. The previous owner installed beefed up rear springs and the truck has a bit of a nose down, rear up stance now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know why this vehicle is spinning the rear wheels so easily and how to rectify this?
I had the SAME prob with those damm tires- they hydroplane too much too! I got em off the truck and got me some Michelins. IMO it's the tires
Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
WHat is up with that over load?
The guy that owned the truck before me over loaded the springs because he had a business that he needed to load the box with heavy materials for his business. He said they are 3/4 ton leafs.