1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Obsessed with tires for 00' Prerunner

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by walindour, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    walindour

walindour [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Suquamish, WA
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner
    5100's all around, OME 880's
    Ok, I realize tire selection is a personal choice based on typical use and such and I have been researching (obsessing) for a little too long now. I have a 2000 Tacoma Prerunner - added 5100's, OME 880's and Wheelers 5-leafs this past summer. My stock rims are 15's and I currently run 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's. They are really tired and drive like crap so it is time for an upgrade. I would love to buy new rims but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense at the moment. Well, my bank account is making that choice for me at the moment.

After hours of digging through the forums I decided I wanted Michelin M/s2 since I am mainly on pavement and just occasionally off road. The truck will occasionally travel logging roads but nothing that would necessitate the burliest tires out there. I am in the Pacific Northwest so I'll be driving in rain (obviously) and occasionally snow when heading to the mountains.

Here's my dilemma that I'd like some input on. The largest M/s2 I can fit on my Tacoma's stock rims is a 235/75/15 which is about 2" smaller in diameter than the BFG's currently on the truck. 31x10.5x15 isn't offered in M/s2's. If I want to stick with my Michelin choices I can replace 31x10.5x15 A/t2's or the older M/s's and keep the size I currently run. Seems like the biggest tire in these Michelin choices I can run.

But with the little lift I got from the 5100's (set at zero) and new leaf springs, it seems like anything smaller than 31x10.5x15 wouldn't look right. I could possibly step up to 32x11.5x15 but my Michelin choices disappear and I am really limited - Yokohama Geolanders would be my choice if they would fit.

I'd appreciate some info and advice. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I did have trouble finding good tires for the 15" rims as well - surprising how limited the choices are! I also considered new 16" rims but I A-don't like the look of 99% of them and B-didn't want to dump out another $1000 for them. I stuck with 15" rims and got GoodYear Duratracs...on 31x10.5R15. Good tires so far, little difficult to keep them balanced.

Previously I had Bridgestone Dueler AT's 265/75R15's (they came with the truck). They were good tires, great for winter traction, but I only got about 25k-27k miles on them and they were practically bald when I got rid of them. That was the most disappointing thing about them, if they had lasted longer I most likely would have gotten another set.

Are you only interested in Michelin's? Or open to other options?
    Bridgestone also makes Dueler Revo's that are supposed to last longer than the AT's (what I've heard) to fit our trucks. Cooper has a few options too - SST's for one.

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    walindour

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Suquamish, WA
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner
    Thanks MTgirl for the replies. I am open to other tires but for the pavement, which is where I'm rolling 95% of the time, seemed like the Michelins were rated well. I have thought about the Duratracs as well but we don't see a ton of snow and I had seen that others were having balancing issues and chunking (?) problems.

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    here is a link to the BS Revo's. I've read good things about them, just weren't suited to my driving needs. They may work for you though. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...LoadRating=S&manufacturer=Bridgestone&tab=All
    and the Coopers... http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_st

I just tried looking on tirerack.com for 265/75R15 and they show none available in that size :confused: ...guessing the website must only search the current inventory available and not all tires.

5. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    You will be limited if you stick with 15" wheels, but I can say that I did settle on the MS2's and they are awesome. I debated between the BFG AT's but in the end, I settled for the MS2s since I do mostly highway driving and like you I do live in the PNW. If you do get the MS2's you will not be disappointed.

I did consider the Revo2's but had heard that they do not last very long. Good luck.

6. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    walindour

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Suquamish, WA
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner

Thanks for the links. The Revos look like a decent choice. Hadn't considered those yet so ill check them out. What sold me on the Michelin choices were how long they seem to last. I really don't want to replace them that often but I must admit that my current BFGs are worn from neglect. I haven't rotated them as much as I should have. :(

7. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    walindour

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Suquamish, WA
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner
    Hey Koov - I'm Kevin as well. Thanks for the reply. Did you give much though to the AT2s at all? I'd have to put on 235/75/15 in place of the 31/10.5/15 and I'm afraid they would look a little small with the little lift I have. But I considered it for the MS2s - or buy 16" rims on Craigslist. Even so, if I did spring for new rims from Wheelers or scored on CL the 265/75/16s are on a national backorder. Discount Tire said they could get them but Sears can't. But I would have a few other options that way.

But the money tree has stopped fruiting for the moment. So I am trying to have restraint. Too many choices, not enough cash.

8. Nov 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    Nice name Kev!!!! I did consider the AT2's but they do not have a tread warranty like the MS2's. I can't believe they MS2's are on backorder! I guess it just shows how great these tires are:D

9. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    walindour

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Suquamish, WA
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner
    The 70,000 mile warranty (and stellar reviews) is what had me sold as well. But since I am wanting to stick with the same size tire I decided to give the AT2s a try and ordered them from Discount Tire. I'll have them slapped on tomorrow morning.

Products Discussed in

To Top