Notices

Help! Need snow tires...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Hutnons is on a distinguished road
Hutnons's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Need snow tires...

Hi there...new member here.

I have seen several posts regarding snow tires but I would like to get a new thread going on recommended snow tires for a Tacoma 4x4. I live in the North East (Vermont) where we receive all types of winter conditions from deep snow to ice.

I ran General Altimax tires last winter and they worked well but I sold them for some cash this past summer as I wanted to get a slightly larger tire for this upcoming winter. Last year I went with the stock tire size 245's or something...

So...I am looking at General Grabber AT2's and Nordman SUV's but I am open for other recommendations. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have been told that the Grabbers are not good, but see folks very pleased with them on this forum. I don't live on dirt roads and do highway travel and I am up in the mountains often during the winter season, so I need something that works for mountain roads and highway and all around city driving...

Tire size is 265/70/R16.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzak
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I am in Vermont & right now have Firestone Winterforce Studded tires are on my tacoma going on the 3rd season.

Very affordable from tire rack, under $400 shipped to my door in 245/75/16s.
Drive up the mountain and tow all winter with these tires with no issues. (Ski & sled)
No ABS kick in (my truck is an 06 with traction control etc.)
All the black ice, hardpack ice/slush the truck stops.
I hate the ice here & that brine solution DOT is using now makes it worse.

General Altimax is on my Honda fwiw. Have had Blizzaks & Nokians in the past.
I would buy another set of the Firestones or get a studded set of the Generals if I have to buy again.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
Stowe/ Smugg's Area here!
Hey we have our own little Vt thread going here! I like it!
I am shopping winters right now for a couple reasons. I bought a new taco last dec. and ran some 03 taco steel rims with firestone winterforce (studdless) 265/70/16 tires laying around from a dead 4-runner. My truck came with nice 17in. alloy rims.
1. I want to run my nice rims year round
2. The firestone winterforces are one of the worst rated tires on Consumer reports

I am looking at some of Cosumers top rated tires in both the original size tires and 245's as some say you want a narrower tire in the snow.
1. Michelin X-Ice XI 2 (top rated)
2. General Artimax Artic .BTW General AT2's are the lowest rated tire on consumers.
3. Pirelli Ice and snow
4. Pirelli ATR All terrain
Tire Rack has some $70 rebate on the Michelin's. Leaning that way.
I hope this helped a little.
BTW Consumers Rates Tacoma's 3rd in overall value to Honda and Nissan so take their info for what it's worth. They do rate the taco the best possible rating for all around dependability.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
Hutnons's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback Vermonters!!! I will have a look a Winterforce for sure (as those were in the back of my mind) and also check out the others brands that were mentioned. I am not sure if I should go with studs or not. That will be my next decision I suppose.

Opening day at Stowe today!!!

Thanks again everyone...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm real happy with the Winterforces despite what CR says. I drive a lot in the winter from Burlington to Jay Peak, Bolton, Island Pond, northern NH & ME with no issues towing a trailer. I ran a set of severe snowflake rated A/Ts one season before the Firestones & did not like them w/ the light back end of the DC & while towing. They are now on my summer rims.

Worn studded tires are horrible, you really have watch putting them on and taking them off as soon as the warmer weather hits. The compounds on all winter tires is softer & wear faster. That is why I like having them on seperate rims. Much easier to get the changeover done in the driveway once Spring arrives letting the tires last longer. I will probably swap out the Firestones after this season. If I wasn't going to stud the tires & had more $ to spend, it would be Blizzaks all the way.

for Opening Day @ Stowe...lets hope the weather turns around soon for our winter sports!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Grabber AT2....Love them.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Hutnons's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone in the Vermont area know where to get some cheap steel black wheels as well? I checked with everyone and nobody can get them it seems. I checked online..but everything seems $$$. I am looking to spend around 60-70 a wheel.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
dlthunder has a spectacular aura aboutdlthunder has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dan
dlthunder's Tacoma Gallery
I have the General's studded for winter and I love them. One of my co-workers has the same tire (only in a load range E) and he is having a lot of trouble balancing one of them. His entire rim is almost covered in weights.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlthunder View Post
I have the General's studded for winter and I love them. One of my co-workers has the same tire (only in a load range E) and he is having a lot of trouble balancing one of them. His entire rim is almost covered in weights.

Its most likely the person balancing.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Tacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomada is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacomada's Tacoma Gallery
I think someone mentioned it above, but worth a second mention. For a designated winter, the 245 would be better than the 265 in the snow/ice... unless your looking for flotation in the really deep stuff (arctic expedition).
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
NorthwestRC is a jewel in the roughNorthwestRC is a jewel in the roughNorthwestRC is a jewel in the roughNorthwestRC is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rachelle
NorthwestRC's Tacoma Gallery
i have the open country G02 winter tires and they have been handling well...no need to turn my 4x4 mode on!!!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
icefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant futureicefox has a brilliant future

Name: Fridfinnur
icefox's Tacoma Gallery
I have always made micro cuts in the tire treads to increase traction in snow and ice. I have been using tires like the MT MTZ that are basically mud tires and those micro cuts make them excellent snow tires. My point is that many of the tires that we are using on our trucks do not have the treads that are needed for good grip on ice and snow and the micro cuts are good way to fix that.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnons View Post
Does anyone in the Vermont area know where to get some cheap steel black wheels as well? I checked with everyone and nobody can get them it seems. I checked online..but everything seems $$$. I am looking to spend around 60-70 a wheel.
There is a guy in Conn who has a ton of toyota rims import tire center or something like that. I actually bought a rim/tire set off him for my Tundra. His prices were good & shipped fast. He sells winter rims/tire combos. Will see if I still have his info.

found the info...here is his website. Very good seller http://www.importtire.com/

Also there are two sets of steel oem silver 16s on vermont craiglist. You could paint them on up. All under $100 for a set of 4
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

I just got a set of Yokohama Geolander IT 265/75R16 and all I can say is Holeeeey Crap! What an awesome tire, very quiet on the highway but sticks like $h!t to a mitten on ice and tracks fantastic through slushy crap. I can't wait to try them in deep snow. Seriously folks, don't bother with studs, just get a modern snow and ice tire that was designed in the last 2 years like the Yokohama Geolander IT or a Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. You can scoff at the marketing BS, but take it from personal experience, the modern rubber compounds combined with recent reseach and development on sipes make these tires stick good.

Now if you want a tire for off road on snow packed trails where there might be semi-frozen mud and rocks under it then maybe something with big lugs and lots of space in between them to clear the mud and snow might be more of what you'd be after. However, if you are just driving on roads, freeways, interstates, parking lots, driveways, and so on like me then the tires I mentioned above are worth the money.

Some might say that snow tires are expensive and they can't justify the cost but how much would your deductible be and how much would your insurance premiums increase if you had an accident. And what if you got setiously injured or killed or something bad happened to your loved ones? Wouldn't feel so great about cheaping out on the rubber then now would you? And the other thing is... while you are running snow tires, your other tires are not getting any wear so they will last that much longer, so its really just spreading out your tire wear on two different sets of tires with the benifit of having the right tire for the conditions.

Ok, rant off, sorry for the long reply, I'm just stoked to have real traction back.

EDIT:
I also meant to put in a reminder to check your lug nut wrench in your truck if you changed from aluminum rims to steel rims for your winter tires, I just realized that the lug nut wrench size is smaller for the acorn nuts I got for my steel rims compared with the shanked nuts for my aluminum rims. I threw in my 3-way (multi head) lug wrench so I'll be covered.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Loiman20 is on a distinguished road
Loiman20's Tacoma Gallery
http://blog.drivertv.com/2009/11/go-in-the-snow.html
get some of these! hahah
Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
dlthunder has a spectacular aura aboutdlthunder has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dan
dlthunder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
Its most likely the person balancing.
Yeah that was my guess too, they also added a bunch of counter weight on the inside. Seems to me they were countering the weight they added
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
wayne73 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wayne73's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up some used 17" wheels and put some Blizzaks on them yesterday for the winter.

Had them before on my honda accord before as well. Awesome winter tires.