Hankook Dynapro ATM wear update

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM wear update 6/27/12

FWIW...

I bought a set of gently used Dynapro ATM's in 265-70-16LT's from another member here about 3 months ago and have been tracking the tread depth for giggles.

The tires had approximately 7K miles on them when I bought them and 13.5/32 of tread remaining. Since then, I've put 7300 miles on them myself. As of last night, I have 12/32 of tread left.

Running the calc's, that means the tread is wearing down at a rate of approximately 1/32 every 5k miles. If wear continues at that rate, I should get another 50k out of the tires. (replacing at 2/32 remaining tread) That would yield about 64k miles for these tires. (fingers crossed) Wear across the tread has been very even so far.

I try to drive fairly gently and not mash either pedal to the floor so my results may not be typical.

UPDATE: 6/26/12
As of this afternoon, these tires still have 7/32 tread remaining and have approximately 61K miles on them. Since the first post I've put about 41k miles on them and worn the tread down 5/32. That calc's to approximately 8200 miles per 1/32" of wear.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear it. I put 265/75r16's on mine. So far I love them but it's only been a few hundred miles.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
This sounds great... I am considering them as an inexpensive replacement for the Rugged Fails because the economy is still in the crapper and I don't think I can afford the General Grabbers I have been wanting!

How is the highway noise (if any)?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 11K on my ATM's (P 265/75-16) and have nothing bad to say about them. I've had my Prerunner in about 5" of fresh snow with no problems, gravel roads are no problem and a few fairly high speed runs in the high desert gave no issues. They pack up a bit in the mud and pick up a lot of rocks (don't most all terrains?) but that's all I can complain about.

They are quieter than the All Terrains a friend has on her 06 Tundra (same size) and seem to work better off road. I go places with my 2wd that she struggles with in 4wd.

I tried to measure tread wear at 5K but there wasn't enuf wear to measure and they look the same now as they did then. As a side note the worst tire took 2 3/4oz total (inside and outside combined) to balance. As a Tire Rack installer I see much worse on "high end" car tires mounted on OE rims from Porsche, M/B and BMW.

Overall I'd buy them again w/o hesitation. Next time (if they wear out before I get a new truck) I'll stick with the stock 265/70 as the ATM's seem to run a bit tall and the truck wants to downshift a lot more than before. Lost almost 400rpm at cruise speed, just enuf to put it below the torque curve.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 25k on my Dynapros and they show basically no signs of wear.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
They're noisier than the dunflops that came on the truck but I'd say they're not much different than the Firestone Destination AT's I have on my other truck or the old style Dueller AT's I ran for 6 years before that.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
OK... as long as they are not like the Cooper STTs I had on my '05! Wow!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
BTT
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
BTT
What does that (BTT) mean?

Since you bumped this up from Dec. 2010, I might as well add (for those who had not yet seen my other Hankook posts) that I did get the Dynapros put on in Feb. 2011 and have basically really liked them a lot.

They now have almost 20,000 miles on them, the wear is minimal, and someone I know just saw them, and thought they were new! The BFGs were ready to be replaced at 20,000 miles... and these Hankooks have only just begun to live!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
What does that (BTT) mean?
Back to ( the ) top ?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you OZ-T! I am sure that's it... BTTT (Bump To The Top) would also work, eh?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
The OZ has it!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough
Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I have a little over 30k on mine and rotate them at every oil change. I am starting to see some wear and they are getting noisey now. To me they are still in good shape. My daughter complains it is noisey when she drives it. Who cares, it is a truck. Still not as noisey as my old ford was with the mudders on it.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Update 7/18/12

I lost a tire this morning. I was driving at low speed, say 30 mph when the TPMS indicator lit up. I pulled over as quickly as I could to assess the situation and found that the left front had split at the sidewall just below the shoulder. I bought the tires used but while I have had them, they've never been driven significantly under inflated, been overloaded or suffered an impact. Approximate mileage on the tire is 62k.
Attached Thumbnails
Hankook Dynapro ATM wear update-dsc03402.jpg   Hankook Dynapro ATM wear update-dsc03403.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks, but it looks like maybe whoever had them before you didn't keep them inflated or abused them. I've got the same tires, maybe about 25,000 on them. I'll be keeping an eye out for that type of damage.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting the sidewall failed before tread wearing out, and this is with the LT variant with extra plies. You got 14k more miles out of them than warrantied! http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Serv/W...m=1&ChildNum=1

Also interesting the cracks follow the "bite pattern" molded into the tire.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
That sucks, but it looks like maybe whoever had them before you didn't keep them inflated or abused them. I've got the same tires, maybe about 25,000 on them. I'll be keeping an eye out for that type of damage.
I dunno but I've put 50K on them since I bought them for $175/set so I'd say that I more than got my money's worth out of them. I paid $172 OTD for the replacement in P-metric! (before anyone howls, I'll be replacing the remaining tires with p-metric soon)

I noticed the cracks starting quite a while before this but the depth was less than 1/8" on the one that failed so I decided to monitor it and keep driving.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

interesting the cracks follow the "bite pattern" molded into the tire.
X2
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
What tire pressure do you run?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
What tire pressure do you run?
32 psi