1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What winter tire size should I get?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cliffh, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    cliffh

cliffh [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4WD
    Trying to decide what winter tire size to run. I've read through a lot of the threads on this forum but there seems to be a lot of different advice.

I'm new to having a 4x4. Just bought a stock 98 Tacoma Xtra cab 4x4 with the 2.7 4-cyl with 15" wheels and tires. It also came with an extra set of 16" wheels and tires. I'm looking to buy a set of studded winter tires. They have to be studded so my wife will drive it. Winter driving up here in the hills is sometimes deep snow but usually hard packed snow and ice so I need a compromise that works fairly well in all conditions.

The 'summer' tires are Toyo A/T Open Country LT235/75R15 with good tread on T15x7 Alloy wheels. The extra set are Wild Country Radial TXR LT265/75R16 with maybe 5/16" tread on 16x7 steel wheels.

If I stay with the 16" rims, what size tire would work best? Would the larger tire diameter affect performance much? The truck seems high-geared and a little gutless now.
    Or I could sell or trade the 16" rims for 15". What tire size for 15" would be good?

Thanks,
    Cliff

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    southpier

southpier Well-Known Member

Member:
    i'm in the same boat. 2011 SR5 with P245/75R16 - 109S factory supplied. i have looked at Tire Pros & purchased dealer. Tire Pro thinks i should get Firestone Destination AT. Dealer parts guy, with 13 years experience, never had anyone ask for a snow tire recommendation for a tacoma. ??? he showed me BFG AT, Hankook, & Toyo. but basically he had no frickin' idea what he was talking about.

Q: anyone have experience with the Firestone tires?

wheels i like are Pro Comp Rock Crawler series 87 steel wheels

Q: anyone have experience with Pro Comp?

sorry if i veered your thread offtrack!

thanks

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My 2006 Tacoma has studded 245/75/16 Firestone Winterforce tires on dedicated steel oem rims.
    This is going on my 3rd season.
    I like them a lot especially towing up in the mountains or going up/descending down steep roads. They have seen many miles of winter use & I would buy them again. I paid less than $400 from Tire Rack delivered.
    As far as the tire width, I went with the 245s for I do not see deep deep snow & they were less expensive.
    In the valleys around my house I see a lot of dustings, the type of snow that glazes the road makes instant ice when driven upon.

As far as the post on the Firestone Destinations, there are a few members here that have reported great results with this tire. I personally have never driven on Firestones other than the Winterforces.
    My A/T tires are Goodyear Silent Armor those are severe snowflake rated but wanted a tire with more bite for stopping due to towing.

Products Discussed in

To Top