Another TPMS Question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
blaurence50 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Brian
blaurence50's Tacoma Gallery
Another TPMS Question

I just bought a 2007 Taco with TPMS. Light came on last week the result of one tire being a little low on pressure. No problem - I topped up the pressure and the light went away. All is good. The strange thing is that I just put a set of steel rims and snow tires on the truck and fully expected to suffer through having to look at the TPMS light for the winter, but the TPMS light hasn't come on. I'm not complaining. This is great but I can't understand why it hasn't come on. I'm sure the tire dealer didn't install TPMS in the winter rims. Any ideas out there.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
JoshO is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
JoshO's Tacoma Gallery
The spare should have a sensor so maybe it is only looking at that sensor since you pulled the other four off the truck?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
if you had it done at a dealer, they prob put tpms in there. it required in suv's and trucks
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have two sets of tires/rims...one for summer & one for winter.
I only have tpms in my winter tires (truck came stock with steel rims & steel rim tpms sensors)
My summer tires/rims are oem TRD OR alloys and no sensors.
I do not get a light either.
It does trigger if I drive out of a certain range of my stored winter tires (in the garage). It is pretty far.
Around town, at work all day 20 miles away no light at all.
If I drive out around 30 miles it goes off but...
once home and parked overnight in the driveway...the light resets on its own.

It has been this way for 3 seasons and did the same for my tundra before that.

Once the system did trigger in the summer only to let me know that the tires in storage were low.

When I am on a longer trip, I just put a business card over the light until I get home.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
JoshO is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
JoshO's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting I didn't think the sensors would work over more than a couple feet.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshO View Post
Interesting I didn't think the sensors would work over more than a couple feet.
yeah I thought it is weird too but hey it works for me.
I do not know if it a time to live TTL/handshake acknowledgement from the sensor to the ecu & back, but was surprised at the distance or combo time/distance.
Regardless whatever it is, the main thing is 99% of the time I do not get a light without having sensors in the other set of tires/rims. Others have had the same experience as well.
My truck is a 2006 & has a sensor in the spare.
No sure if that makes a diff. The OP does too.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Gatorstaco is on a distinguished road
Gatorstaco's Tacoma Gallery
With 4 snows with no sensor on the X and only 1 wheel(spare with sensor), no light came on. The other 4 are in the garage.