Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Anybody running spline drive lug nuts?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
CanadianGuy is on a distinguished road

CanadianGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody running spline drive lug nuts?

Just about ready to pull the trigger on some new Procomp 7089s and wanted to get the right lug nuts. I read that I would need E/T lugs and this is what Dan from Wheeler's Off Road suggested.

Spline drive lug nuts that are thinner and won't scratch up my new wheels when putting them on. Just wondering if anybody had any experience with them?

They seem to be less common than the standard acorn style....are they not as strong or something? Looks like they have a smaller area to grab when torquing the wheel on - do you think it is possible to strip them?

Let me know what you guys think!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
i believe i have some like that. black ones i got from 4wheelparts. they do look easy to strip but idk i havent messed with them at all since i put them on.

i really dont like them much
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i have them on my truck.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Procomp has some nice spline drive lugs black that I seen with a set of procomp wheels
Yea that's what I was thinking of...if I am getting black Procomp wheels I wasn't sure why Procomp wouldn't make matching lugs. Maybe these will work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post
i believe i have some like that. black ones i got from 4wheelparts. they do look easy to strip but idk i havent messed with them at all since i put them on.

i really dont like them much
What do you mean you don't like them much....the function or the style? and why?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

I just read on a review at 4WheelParts that the splines will rust in the winter from the salt on the roads and some people had the spline socket break on them when they were hand torquing the lugs....doesn't sound good

Am I better to just stick with acorn style E/T lugs?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have the spine ones from 4wp, I have fucked up 3 studs. If you get them do not use an impact to remove anything.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Bean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant futureBean has a brilliant future
Army: TC Officer
Name: Randy
Bean's Tacoma Gallery
I have them on another vehicle. They are good as long as you buy a reputable brand. Don't get the cheapest thing you can find on ebay or you'll have issues. Nothing is worse than stripping one, or even worse, breaking the key. Both must be good quality.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
I have 'em on my 2000 Solara (28,000 mi)
Came with the "Milli Miglia" Wheels (Italy) I bought from Tire Rack. years ago.
Still runnin' the same wheels in the Summer.

Believe Milli Miglia is out of business and Tire Rack bought the Molds and makes 'em. Callin' 'em something different now.

Sorry, little off topic, have the Spine Lugs and like 'em.
Recessed flush in the wheel.
Thought they came with the wheels 'til I read this thread.
Obviously none of the stresses you'd encounter with a 4x4
But they've kept the wheels on at 120 mph, numerous times
Don't loose the spline wrench, You'll be cutting your wheels off.

CC
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #11

bump for some more opinions....should I stay away from spline drive?

will the socket for the regular acorn style e/t's tear up my new 7089s?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i use the splined lug nuts...no issues for me other than it being a pain to take them off every now and again
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i use the splined lug nuts...no issues for me other than it being a pain to take them off every now and again
Why is it a pain? Have you ever had the socket or one of the lugs break?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
Why is it a pain? Have you ever had the socket or one of the lugs break?
its just a pain to have to use the special socket...especially if youre only working with hand tools

I've never had a socket or lug nut break...and ive taken my wheels off numerous times
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
hottacoX will become famous soon enough

Name: Cory
hottacoX's Tacoma Gallery
I have slpined nuts for my aftermarket wheels, I have taken my wheels on and off when I switch to winters/the track, and have not had an issue with them. DO NOT USE A IMPACT GUN! That would be the only downside is that you will shatter the key if you use a gun. Splined for the most part can be added security against the average thief as well.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #16
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same you are looking at from Wheelers. They seem to be of good quality and they have the extended thread section for greater thread contact, which is the main reason I bought them. the special tool doesn't bother me, just don't use air tools with it.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottacoX View Post
I have slpined nuts for my aftermarket wheels, I have taken my wheels on and off when I switch to winters/the track, and have not had an issue with them. DO NOT USE A IMPACT GUN! That would be the only downside is that you will shatter the key if you use a gun. Splined for the most part can be added security against the average thief as well.
eh

i've used an impact gun repeatedly on mine and never broke a key or anything else
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I run 2 locks & 4 spline drives on each wheel. Have never meesed up any studs or locks or spline drives. I insist on no impact action when having GY do my rotates and they comply as well as using hand tools on all tire removal on all vehicles at the house.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am running them on my aftermarket wheels Discount Tire likes to use them.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Im using them. But just like ktmrider said dont use impact wrenches.