Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Humming sound from bigger tires

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Rconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rconectn's Tacoma Gallery
Humming sound from bigger tires

People are telling me that I shouldn't lift my truck because the bigger M/T or A/T tires, 31" on my 5lug, will cause a "humming" sound that will drive me crazy. How true is this?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
It's very true depending on how aggressive the tire. All I can tell you is research the heck out of the specific tire you want and you'll get a good feel on if it's going to be noisy or not. With pretty much any mt expect a hum on some level or another, with at's some may have very little that you don't even hear it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
SORRY WHAT DID YOU SAY???I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE HUMMING. bfg a/t tires dont hum,doesnt matter what size
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The humming noise from a tire is caused by the tread pattern, not the size of the tire. If you put an M/T on an unlifted truck, stock size, it will still produce the same sound. Just choose your tires wisely.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Tires are application specific. There is no perfect tire that does all things well:

If you do mostly on-road (over 90%) and most of that is high-speed highway driving (55mph+) then you need a nice road tire, which will be quiet and smooth running, have shallow flat tread, give you good gas mileage, run for 80k miles... Probably a nice all-weather tire.

If you want light off-road capability to drive dirt roads and do snow, mud, sand, etc and still drive on road mostly and mostly at highway speeds you'll want a nice all-terain (AT) tire. The cabin noise will increase and mpg will decrease but only a little.. most folks see this tire as the perfect do anything all-around-best tire choice (it's the type that comes on your truck stock from the factory)

Then, if you are willing to endure a constant humming and other noises at highway speeds in-order to get real off-road capability hen go for a mud-terrain (MT). These tires are awesome off-road performers and look fantastic on a truck - but are somewhat impractical and uncomfortable for frequent highway speed use.

Anyway, the moral of this little story is that you'll have to make trade-offs either way. For me I went with an aggressive AT, (BFG KO) and couldn't be happier - I wear ear plugs on long highway drives and turn up the stereo (this is probably not legal or advisable for many common sense reasons)- but I rarely do a lot of highway miles and do about 20% of my driving off-road now thanks to a commuter car I picked up to handle the daily drives.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
go to tire rack and look at reviews on the tires you want.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Rconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shedRconectn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rconectn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
SORRY WHAT DID YOU SAY???I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE HUMMING. bfg a/t tires dont hum,doesnt matter what size

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Tires are application specific. There is no perfect tire that does all things well:

If you do mostly on-road (over 90%) and most of that is high-speed highway driving (55mph+) then you need a nice road tire, which will be quiet and smooth running, have shallow flat tread, give you good gas mileage, run for 80k miles... Probably a nice all-weather tire.

If you want light off-road capability to drive dirt roads and do snow, mud, sand, etc and still drive on road mostly and mostly at highway speeds you'll want a nice all-terain (AT) tire. The cabin noise will increase and mpg will decrease but only a little.. most folks see this tire as the perfect do anything all-around-best tire choice (it's the type that comes on your truck stock from the factory)

Then, if you are willing to endure a constant humming and other noises at highway speeds in-order to get real off-road capability hen go for a mud-terrain (MT). These tires are awesome off-road performers and look fantastic on a truck - but are somewhat impractical and uncomfortable for frequent highway speed use.

Anyway, the moral of this little story is that you'll have to make trade-offs either way. For me I went with an aggressive AT, (BFG KO) and couldn't be happier - I wear ear plugs on long highway drives and turn up the stereo (this is probably not legal or advisable for many common sense reasons)- but I rarely do a lot of highway miles and do about 20% of my driving off-road now thanks to a commuter car I picked up to handle the daily drives.
Great advice! Thank you and to everyone else.

To be honest I will do zero off roading, I just love the look of M/T tires on a lifted truck. All my driving is highway and local driving. Hell, growing up I had a GReddy exhaust on my car and that muffler would cause a huge resonance throughout the interior of the car and I got used to it. But so far it looks like the A/T are the best bet. Now, it's research time.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT/KO FTW!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My old baja claws used to hum a little lol
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
ATs will generally last longer on pavement as well. Look at the Goodyear Duratracs or BFG ATs.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I have DuraTracks and there not loud at all just a slight hum at high way speeds and I have 33"x12.5's I'm sure the thinner tire will be a little quieter seeing how there is less tread to create a sound.

Products Discussed in this Thread