Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Michelin LTX MS2 versus Michelin LTX A/T 2 versus Pirelli Scorpion ATR

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
quietstorm is on a distinguished road
quietstorm's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX MS2 versus Michelin LTX A/T 2

Most of my driving is on the highway but I get off road occasionally. I live in Arizona and drive perhaps a bit fast on rocky roads which probably challenges my tires. Occasionally I need some grip to get over some large rocky ruts.

I am trying to chose between these tires:
Michelin LTX MS2
Michelin LTX A/T

I currently have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and have no complaints but want to try a new tire to see if there is less noise/vibration.

Will the Michelin LTX MS2s hold up under moderate offroading? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
joe812 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs P265/70R16. I had no complaints with them in any conditions. They rode just as nice as any highway tire.

I just had them removed because I got a new lift, rims, and tires. I only had them for 4000 miles and they look virtually brand new. I am probably going to put them up on Craigslist locally in NJ.

I don't have anything to say about the Michelins.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
joe812 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
joe812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe812 View Post
I had the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs P265/70R16. I had no complaints with them in any conditions. They rode just as nice as any highway tire.

I just had them removed because I got a new lift, rims, and tires. I only had them for 4000 miles and they look virtually brand new. I am probably going to put them up on Craigslist locally in NJ.

I don't have anything to say about the Michelins.
My prior post looks a little irrelevant since the OP was edited.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Sorry Joe, I read some reviews on discount tires site about the Pirellis and was scared off. I'm skeptical of reviews but there were a lot of bad ones. I edited my post to try and simplify it. My decision now is between the two Michelins.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of LTX AT2 on my Taco and we have LTX MS2 on my wife's 07 Tahoe with the 20" wheels. Ride is great with both. The MS2 is supposed to last longer. My Taco has 24,000 on the AT2s and you can't even tell they are worn. The AT2 does look more agressive but has a little bit of an off road tire roar between 40-60 MPH. 99% of my driving is on the interstate with the cruise set on 72 so they don't bother me at all. The MS2 is silent. It is hands down the quitest truck tire I have ever owned. I will put another set of AT2s on my Taco when I wear these out. The MS2 just doesn't look agressive enough for me on my truck. That being said, there are plenty of people on here that do light to moderate off-roading with the MS2.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I had the MS on my truck. Not a huge difference between that and the MS2. They worked just fine on the road, wicked in the rain, and sucked balls on snow and ice. Didn't do a lot of off roading with them. My suggestion is go with the AT2 for your needs.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
The MS2 apparently is improved over the MS in the snow. Read this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-ltx-m-s2.html

It's virtually the same thing you just posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Dad has LTX A/S 10 ply on a Dodge 2500 Diesel 2WD. He gets stuck in the yard all the time and replaces between 20-30k miles. Not sure if that helps you much, but considering the hassle he has I would go for the A/T and not worry.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
I picked the MS2 because I drive so much on the highway. What an amazing smooth ride. I went offroad for a few miles and the tires performed well. I am very happy with my choice.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
ltx at perform very well imo for a street tire.my buddy had them on his jeep(i also had several sets on my trucks)and we were wheeling in pa.those things did amazing.you get great milage with them as well.the last set i had on my taco had 55,000 miles on them and still had 5/32 on them.sold them to a used tire shop to offset the new tires i got.good luck
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
It's great to be here...it's great to be anywhere.
BigBlue06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
BigBlue06's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, new member here...just wanted to state I have the same Scorpion AT/R's that Joe had. 75,000 miles and counting. Just keep 'em properly inflated, rotated and balanced. Love those suckers. Only got 35K out of the BFG's that came on the truck but I hear that's actually pretty good. The Pirellis though...enough said. Got 'em from Tire Rack and all the reviews were very positive. Will likely go with them again when these are fianlly done. Truck has 108K so I have a ways to go yet.