Notices

Need New Tires... Which are best?

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Need New Tires... Which are best?

Just got my Tacoma... BEAUTIFUL...but tires are like onion skins. Dad has a bad track record for tire selection so I don't trust him anymore. My options are:

BFG Rugged Trail A/T
BFG Long Trail A/T
Falken Wild Peak A/T
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T

I want more of an off road look but nothing extreme since its my commuter vehicle. Also nothing too soft since roads are terrible where I live and I'm not a grandma driver. Also, I am a student so I need to balance quality and price.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
JayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud of
Name: Jay
JayARRGHH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdchic View Post
Just got my Tacoma... BEAUTIFUL...but tires are like onion skins. Dad has a bad track record for tire selection so I don't trust him anymore. My options are:

BFG Rugged Trail A/T
BFG Long Trail A/T
Falken Wild Peak A/T
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T

I want more of an off road look but nothing extreme since its my commuter vehicle. Also nothing too soft since roads are terrible where I live and I'm not a grandma driver. Also, I am a student so I need to balance quality and price.
I have a set of the BFG All-Terrain T/A and they're nice, they sound perfect for you because I am literally the same, I'm a student, light off road, but its also my daily driver, they've got good wear and traction on them and fuel efficiency and comfort are a little above average. I also like the Nitto Terras though.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

BFG Rugged Trail A/T
BFG Long Trail A/T
Falken Wild Peak A/T
Nitto Terra Grappler A/T

Sounds like you have a plan. The Nitto's are pretty heavy, BFG's just because of their brand name expensive, Flaken WildPeaks I guess I don't know a lot about. Did do some checking and finding them online was a bit difficult but I did. Look similar to Nitto's and a bit lighter. Priced pretty good too.
If your looking for other alternatives that are pretty highly rated, with somewhat similar compounds I had the Geolandar A/T-S on my last truck. Love the tire for general all terrain off roading along with great highway tire. About the same price too. Check the http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp online. Great for checking out the characteristics of most of the popular tires.
Oh, I have BFG A/T's on my rig right now. Heavy tire. Lost some mileage and picked up some vibration at speeds. Wish I still had the Yokohama Geolanders personally. Good luck whatever you decide. Ken
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Have 70k on a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T. Best tire I have encountered for a truck. WOW!!! Work in the automotive service dept. Turned on alot of customers to them. GREAT in the rain! Have done lots of off-roading. Mud, sand-so far unstoppable!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of folks like the BFG AT/TA. It's a tough long wearing tire that's good in the snow.

If you want to save a few rupees, Toyo Open Country AT, but I've never run it and can't speak to it.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Stay away from BFG's at least the long trails.. UUGGHHHHH!!!!

The Dueler Revos have a nice sidewall. Get alot of comments on them. Again great tire for a great truck!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Out of your choices i would go with the Nitto's.
I have the bridgstone dueler revo 2's and they have been a great tire and aren't really heavy or expensive. Great wet traction too!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T but I need 265/65/17
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Okay...the tires don't need to be on the list! It was just a starting point...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here you go Op.!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....665TR7REVO2OWL
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Give me a break...I am BLONDE!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Procomp Xtreme MT

or

GT Grabber
Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Out of the ones your listed the Nitto Terra Grapplers are the best.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Dirty Trucker

Quote:
Give me a break...I am BLONDE!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:8,s:53
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I have had good experiences with BFG Rugged Trails. Or you could go with the BFG All Terrains, depending on intended use (sounds like you are not particularly looking for anything with an aggressive tread). The BFG's last a long time. I have had two sets that made it to 65-70K miles.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #19

You can step up to a 265/70/17. No rubbing issues or anything. Speedo reads correctly.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
Go BFG A/T's! They are awesome! Had some good snow storms here lately and they rock

Products Discussed in this Thread